Author Topic: repor grille fit  (Read 6277 times)

mikefam

• View Profile
repor grille fit
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
Has anyone had trouble with a reproduction grille?

I just installed a new grille and when I tried to install the OEM headlight bezels the bezels don't align with the upper and lower grille moldings - the headlight bezel is about a half inch taller than the grille. The grill seemed to fit between the upper and lower valance without squeezing it so I think that the aftermarket grille is just made badly.

My next step is to remove the grille to see if maybe I did squeeze it smaller when I installed it but I don't think that it is possible for me to have crushed it this much. Has anyone ever had the same problem with an aftermarket grille? Will maybe a set of aftermarket bezels fit better to the aftermarket grille?

Mike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

mikefam

• View Profile
Re: repor grille fit
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:45:09 PM »
I should have mentioned that this is a 1968 standard grille.

Mike.

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
Thanks for the info because I'm about to buy a repop myself for my std 68 grill. Where did you buy yours?

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:41:11 AM »
I'll have to look and see if I can find the receipt but the grill is either from Classic Industries or Rick's. I'll let you know if I find it.

Mike.

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:40:12 PM »
Replaced the 68 non RS grill on my Camaro five months ago.  Went through 3 before getting one that fit pretty good.  Didn't seem to matter which parts house I used, they all came from the same Asia based supplier.  Finally bought a pretty decent one from Steve's Camaros in San Bruno, Ca.  , but I still had to redrill some of the mounting holes.  Would not suggest buying new headlite bezels or other trim pieces hoping that makes it fit better. 

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »
Well that just bites, I painted the grill and can't return it. It's probably not worth returning after shipping fees and restocking fee anyways. Maybe I can repair my old broken grille with fiberglass resin.

Mike.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:44:13 AM »
Resin itself does not possess good bonding properties on those materials. Only to itself when used in conjunction with mat or cloth. Try JB weld or research products made by Devcon. You can also use panel bond which can be purchased at your jobber. How bad is it and are any pieces missing?

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:08:45 AM »
The grill has a crack on the top near the opening for the hood latch and another crack that I think is fixable. I could laminate another piece of material on the side that doesn't show to add strength to the repair. Maybe a piece of plexi glass would work well. There is a non-hardening adhesive called barge cement that I like or maybe I'll experiment with model cement to see how that works.

All tips and suggestions are welcome, Mike.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:32:31 AM »
I forgot to mention 3M Rigid Parts Repair too. I used it often when I was in collision and still use it on occasion. It has multiple applications. Get it at your jobber too. Even better if you know someone with a shop . It's not cheap and you will never use it all.

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »
I found a solution to this problem that works for me. What I needed to do was to increase the distance between the upper grille trim and the lower grille trim so that they would line up with the headlight bezels. The upper trim is bolted through both the plastic grille and the metal upper valance making it hard to move upward but the lower trim is only attached to the plastic. What I did was to enlarge the lower trim holes in the grille so that I could pull the trim lower and a way from the upper trim. The headlight bezels line up with the upper and lower trim pieces now and it looks normal.

Mike.