Author Topic: Quarter window chrome  (Read 8534 times)

68rsssrag

• View Profile
Quarter window chrome
« on: May 03, 2006, 05:47:06 AM »
Has anyone tried the repro GM lisenced versions of the 67-68 quarter window mouldings that retain the weaatherstrip?

GM now only has the LHS at $150 vs 75 for a repro pair.

Arno

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
Re: Quarter window chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:17:27 AM »
Arno,

I bought a set from D & R classic and ended up only using one side as I was able to clean up one of my originals. I had a couple of extras for each side that were missing some chrome and I looked at all of them from every angle and couldn't tell any difference. So my car has one orig. and one repo and they look great. I think they were somewhere in the $50-60 range for the pair? Good luck,

Dan

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:54:59 AM »
Dan

I see they are now $75 a pair but have a seal included.  I assume the weaherstrip side slot works well from what you said.

Are they made the same way internally so they grip the glass well. The originals are 2 wall construction to give some spring tension and everflex rubbery tape. Some repros are solid and the tension isn't enough so you need to use urethane or butyl tape.

Arno

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:58:56 PM »
Arno,

When I bought mine I thought the channel seals that were included were too stiff to lay down nice, but once I started working them on, they fit really nice. Like I mentioned before, I used one of my original moldings and both of the new seals and they worked great. If I remember correctly, they did appear to be two walled cause they looked exact inside the channel. I also installed a set of soft seal rubbers and they took a little work to slide on, but all in all the fit was pretty good. When I wash the car I don't blast pressure right against the windows but so far no leaks at the seals or weather strips. Also, I did buy my set about a year and a half ago, thus the price increase. Hopefully some others will chime in on their experiences. Good luck,

Dan

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 04:54:38 AM »
Thanks for the input...maybe this repro will fit, that will be a pleasant change.

Arno

Brian K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 04:14:43 AM »
I just did a 69 Yenko clone for a guy and the repo quarter window chrome didn't fit the new glass he bought (not the right curveture). I sent out his originals and had them chromed and they had the same curveture as the glass and fitted perfect. As for the quarter window seals I purchased 3 different sets for my 67 and by far the best are the ones from Classic Industries (#K664 $29.95 on Page 345 of 2006 catalog) they had small interlocking seperate steel reinforcements just like original allowing you to bend the seal to shape, the others had a solid steel reinforcement that was straight up and down (no curve) and when you put the door glass up the top and bottom would be hitting the door glass and the center would not seal because of this. And when you in stall the Classic's they went right into the  quarter window chrome , no fighting.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 03:05:47 AM »
I got a pair of ACC repros for my car. They came with the rubber glass-to-molding strips and the finish was good, but they were a tad too long and I had to bend them and elongate the screw hole  :-\. Fortunately, that is below the belt molding and weatherstrip and it won't show. I've learned if you can afford the Genuine GM part, buy it--although beware of GM NOS chrome emblems--they're poor quality compared to the better repros. Our dealership sells to Ausley's Chevelle Parts, and I've seen some pitiful GM emblems  :P. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior