Author Topic: Driveshaft question  (Read 4422 times)

rua69z

• View Profile
Driveshaft question
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »
First of all I would like to thank CRG for helping me get my 69 Z/28 running for the first time since I bought it 8 years ago!

What a blast, I owned one back in the late 70's to early 80's and this is even better than I remember.

I am having to do the usual tweaks after you start driving them, my timing cover developed a nice leak and I found my exhaust system is rubbing my driveshaft but so far that is the extent except......

While we were under my car at a local garage someone looked at the driveshaft and it seems the yoke is way out of the transmission? I measured the driveshaft from center to center and it is 49 5/8" which I think is correct but again the yoke seemes to be out a good 1 1/2" more than I think it should be.

Any comments would be welcome.

thanks Jim S

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Driveshaft question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:41:36 PM »
I don't know what either should be, but I know it moves in and out dependent on the suspension travel.
68Z28

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 02:48:31 PM »

I went to the thread but was unable to open the attachment Tom had posted from GM?

does anyone know the dimension from the rear of the transmission to the rear end?

When I first set the motor in place with the transmission attached it was not matching the trans cross memebr and was ahead to far so I lifted the motor up and changed the frame mounts around and it brought the motor ahead a little more than an inch which then lined everything up.

Is it possible to put the cross memebr in backwards? If I remeber when I thought I had the frame mounts on backwards the distributor was real close to the firewall also.

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 03:33:21 PM »
Does anyone have a measurement of how much yoke should be showing?

I have the original transmission and rear end in the car the cross memeber is stock and the driveshaft is the correct length. So the the way I see it is the pinion may have been changed out in the rearend and may be shorter? Or the frame mounts are backwards along with the trans mount?
would it make sense to double check the measurement from the tail housing to the pinion?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
'67 & '68 4-speed Camaros use a 'shaft 50.46" c-c. '69s are shorter, 49.56" c-c.

For '69 Chevy used a stronger, thicker trans yoke and pinion flange. That's why the driveshaft is shorter. If the pinion flange uses straps and capscrews it is correct; U-bolts & nuts is 67-68.

You could have an incorrect trans yoke but 1-1/2" is way more than the difference in the yoke & flange. How much of the yoke is in the trans?

Learning more and more about less and less...

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »
William

that may be true on the trans yoke I lost the original and replaced it with one from Ricks....I have since found the original so I will dig it out and compare it to the one on the driveshaft now.

I am not sure how much of the yoke is in the trans today but will check car is in a buddies auto shop and is locked up for the weekend but I will check on Monday.

thanks