Author Topic: 69 SS hood ornament gasket  (Read 5330 times)

nwbalddog

• View Profile
69 SS hood ornament gasket
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »
My hood is leaking and assume I have no, or need to replace the gasket at the SS hood ornament, as I tightened the little screws ans it is still leaking. Does anyone recomend which one is best to install? The little nuts on the threaded studs look like they can get damaged easily, I suspect take care on removal and install? Can I buy these little nuts as well I suspect.
Thanks
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: 69 SS hood ornament gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:55:05 AM »
You may want to clarify what you mean by leaking.  SS hoods have drain hole in them that allow the water to flow out the bottom.  There were even drain "hoses" (about and inch long) mounted in the drain holes under the hood...  In other words, no gasket is going to stop the "leak" I mention...  There ARE gaskets under there, obviously.  I think they are mostly to direct the water to the drain holes?

As far as the nuts, one can usually find that stuff at Lowes, etc.  Or else there are are more "accurate" vendors to choose from.  The studs on mine are not threaded.  A speed/self tapping nut was used.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 12:30:27 PM »
An illustration in the 69 AIM L48 B2 shows the complete SS hood ornaments and associated parts.
Bob

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
I have the little gasket adhered on the underside of the chrome...the wire mess was overlapping the gasket so I trimmed mesh screent back to sit inside the gasket...the black plate sits on top of hood metal to metal. Then the mesh and chrome pieces. The drain holes are both on the left side of these chrome ornaments, do I have 2 left hand pieces? My aftermarket hood has a few areas for the water to go...on right side (passenger) the drain hole is in a location, I cannot put the drain plug in, no room.

The water is to go into drain hole and run down underside of hood in trough and drop out near radiator I assume.

My gasket is on the outside of my nuts, I thinkit needs to be on the inside to not allow water to get to them, or on both sides, etc..

I have a new underhood pad, yet cannot install until this is resolved.
Thanks
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
Here is the AIM big iron mentioned...

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
Thanks, I had looked at this as well, this is helpful for me.

I have 2 LH HO...odd.

I think what I am experiencing is the gasket is sitting on the outer edge of the studs and when water gets on top of the HO in the "stack openings", it runs down to outer edge toward the studs and through the stud hole opening of the hood and thus leaks water in the engine compartment.

I may place gasket around those studs, basically surrounding them.

Thanks
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »
You need to correct the problem. Trapping water under the stacks will lead to rust.
  VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

anything