Author Topic: Original Keys for my 67  (Read 6062 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Original Keys for my 67
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »
  To my pleasant surprise I just found a set of original keys to my 67, and they have the "knockouts" intact with #'s which match the #'s on the side of the locks.(I currently have all locks out of the car as I'm mid-restoration)  I also tried the keys, and they work.  I have a question though, is it possible to have them re-silvered?  And if so, what kind of plating would it be?  The keys are in good shape but some of the plating has worn off through use.  I thought I would get them replated, and then try to find a key envelope to put them in and not use them, just as a Glove Box item.  Attaching a pic..
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

IZRSSS

Re: Original Keys for my 67
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »
Mike - nice find! What are the yellow marks on the knockouts?

Just me, but I would keep them exactly like you found them. ATS, their only original once.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:22:56 AM »
>>>IZRSSS,  those yellow marks are just Photoshop to block the codes.  They are not on the keys.  Have to be careful these days, you don't know who's looking.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:09 AM »
Why not leave them as they are and buy new key blanks, have them cut to use. Blanks exactly like that are available.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 01:12:05 AM »
Why not leave them as they are and buy new key blanks, have them cut to use. Blanks exactly like that are available.

Amen to what Marty and Maroman said!  They look just like first gen keys ought to look nowadays.   ;D

I called antique dealer friend of mine who deals in antique keys among a multitude of things, and he said you would actually devalue the keys if you replate them. BTW, your car is a classic, but the keys aren't antiques until they are at least 50 years old... who knew???  ;)
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:23:25 AM »
aren't antiques until they are at least 50 years old... who knew???  ;)

Whew...wish you hadn't said that.  :'(

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »
First off IMHO you should absolutely do nothing to them as they are the born with keys and are so cool the way they are. As mentioned if you want to do something get other NOS keys and just keep your old keys period. Our originals for a 68 did not have the knock outs so I purchased two that had knock outs and two NOS that did not. Our old faithful locksmith punch cut the 4 keys and even stamped the 2 new keys (w/knock outs) with the correct code. So I have 4 new keys but keeping the orig. in a safe place. By the way, you can easily purchase the key envelopes at Paragon or other Corvette websites.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:15:01 AM »
I have other new B&S Key copies, but they don't have the codes on them.  Also these keys aren't Briggs & Stratton, they are Rochester, but I know these are originals because the codes match the codes on the locks.  New question, I have found the key envelopes, but they come either white or mustard in color.  Anybody know which is correct?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois