Author Topic: Intake bolts different lengths? 67 camaro 327 w/AC  (Read 3383 times)

heckler

• View Profile
Intake bolts different lengths? 67 camaro 327 w/AC
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
Why are the manifold bolts I took off different sizes.  The two longest ones were on the passenger front and went through the bracket for the factory air so those I understand.  What about the other two sizes?  Anyone?

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: Intake bolts different lengths? 67 camaro 327 w/AC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:39:24 PM »
After almost 45 years, any bolt that is still in it's original hole is something of an anomaly all by itself.  I don't know exactly what the reason for the length may be in this instance but, a small block Chevy head has several manifold bolt holes that fall directly above a pushrod.   If the bolt that threads into any of those holes is too long, it will contact the pushrod and wreak mayhem when the engine starts.  You might try to recall which bolt was in which hole and note the relationship between those holes and the pushrods.

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:25:53 PM »
After cleaning off the tops I concur.  Lots of different bolts, 5 original to my observation.

They didn't have washers...did original setup have washers?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »
They didn't have washers...did original setup have washers?

Nope, originals didn't use any washers. Don't use any intake bolts longer than 1-1/4" and you won't hit any pushrods.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG