Author Topic: Trim Tag build dates versus VIN's  (Read 2734 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Trim Tag build dates versus VIN's
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:46:59 PM »
I know that there is a chart showing month ending VIN's which can be used to approximate the trim tag build week, 11A, 11B, etc. I was wondering if the data base the CRG has accumulated from actual cars has led to a further refining of what VIN's relate to what build week. I know that it is still an approximation, (since VIN's were not build in exact numerical sequence) but I would think that with enough data, the existing chart could be further refined to give much more accurate idea of which VIN's correlate to which build week?

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trim Tag build dates versus VIN's
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
Vins were built in sequential number except for some minor variations due to construction constraints, like car with A/C, or RS, so for all intents and purposes once the cars hit the GM side of the plant (at Norwood - in LA they come down the line in VIN order all the time since that was a GMAD plant without a separate Fisher side of the plant) the vast majority  are in sequential order with the higher option cars being maybe + or - maybe 10 to 15 VIN out of sequence.  The body numbers are not sequential (at least in in 69), they jump all over the place by a considerable amount, and even in the two previous years body numbers jump around on any given day due to Fisher shifting the construction of cars scheduled for any given day around to account for their construction constraints.  Fisher had to be concerned with trying to group like colored cars together, to minimize time spent shifting from one body color to another in the paint booths, plus they had to space out convertibles and vinyl top cars, as it took extra time to install those options.

Breaking the numbers down any further than month to month would only have added value to someone creating fake trim tags, or other documentation.  Otherwise you know Norwood built 912 cars a day, 5 days a week, 4.25 weeks per month, (roughly 19,320 cars a month) from their you can approximate which week any given car was built.  Don't forget it took 2 days for the tub to reach GM and get assigned a VIN when your figuring out dates, a body could start out being "built" in one week, but get its VIN assigned the next week.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11