Author Topic: 69 RS Headlamp Help  (Read 6684 times)

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
69 RS Headlamp Help
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
Hello-

Everything is new (vacuum) and I have two issues. The first is my doors do not fully close, how to I adjust that?  I have the vacuum cans all the way back but I am still need about 3/4" more to get both doors fully closed.

Thank in advance!

Damon
Damon

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
Re: 69 RS Headlamp Help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:38 AM »

Damon

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:34:12 PM »
I think the first thing that I would check is to ensure that if you fully disconnect the door linkage from the vacuum canisters, that the doors will then close.  If they don't close disconnecteed, something else in the linkage is amiss..
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:37:57 PM »
After final reassembly....minus the bumper and hood
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »
Repro canisters are to long, and don't allow the door to close all the way.  Sometime around 92, 93 the Company making the canisters has been making either the can, or the operating rod about 3/8" to long.  I had to replace one of mine around that time and making no other changes my passenger side door (the replaced one) hangs open about 3/8" to 1/2" from fully closed (little bit less than yours).  Closed perfectly prior to that.  Haven't been able to adjust it out, as the rod is all the way into the canister when the doors are closed so theres no more room to move it back further.  Don't know if there are more than one manufacturer of these cans out there or not.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »
Mark makes a very good point.  

When I removed the sub frame and rebuiilt the front end and engine of the car, my original vacuum canisters were working.  However, I figured being almost 40 yrs old, the diaphragms were probably on borrowed time and while the front end was completly disassembled this would be the perfect time to replace them.  

I removed the originals, boxed them up and put them away.  The aftermarket replacements that I got did not have the problem with the rod being the wrong length...pictures above are with the replacemetn canisters installed..as you can see the doors close and the gaps are as they should be.

The issue(s) I did have were that the vacuum hose connections on the canisters were at a different angle (approx 90 degrees) orientation from the original whch created a fitment issue between the connection on the cannister and the mounting bracket for the cannisters.   Once I worked around that, it all worked (and still does) just fine.  Although it took a while to create a work around for the wrong angle connectors.  You shouldn't have to deal with these sorts of issues....but aftermarket quality is often suspect at best.  In thi.s case, my guess is that these cannisters are sold for more than one application and not just '69RS.

Aftermarket stuff is often close but not correct....and close only counts in hand grenades and nuclear war.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 10:03:50 PM »
and horseshoes.... Have a great 4th!
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Thanks Guys, yes the new cans were in fact to long.  I moved the rear bracket back about 1/2" and that gave me a nice adjustment range.  All fixed and working now.  Had the car painted over the winter as well, no more dealer installed door ding moldings ;-)!

Damon

anything