Author Topic: '67 Camaro coupe, 327ci, 2B Carb., powerglide 2 SP....one owner.  (Read 12534 times)

heckler

• View Profile
 :)Here is my story...

My friend Kris was given Grand dad's '67 camaro after moving to Florida. He only knows how to turn a key on a car so I am helping since I have restored a '67 camaro before.

So far I documented it as 100% original (#'s match) with the exception of normal maintenance items and the vinyl top replaced. Not a dent in the car (rust in normal places). Original paint! This a BASE camaro with a 2 sp powerglide, 327 with 2 barrel carb., and A/C. Funny thing about the A/C is Grand Dad says it was dealer installed! Story has it that he ordered a blue camaro and this one came in, so he bought it if they would add A/C.

Your not going to believe my next statement but it is TRUE!! A/C still works and all A/C hoses are only connected with hose clamps....is this possible?!?!?!...hose clamps?

10 bolt rear end. Soft top was redone at some point. Engine has also never been opened according to his stack of maintenance sheets that put the yellow pages to shame. He kept every oil change receipt!!!!

The first of many questions is this....what to do with it?

Friend is looking for my advice. I'm a proponent of original so what can I do with trans and engine to start with?  Only rebuilt Muncie....how different is this? It leaks oil from every seam and then some. So it needs rebuilding.. what can I get out of the heart of the engine keeping the same look so it has more excitement and reliability but looks the original to your eye?

More to come...please give thoughts.

heckler

• View Profile
Re: '67 Camaro coupe, 327ci, 2B Carb., powerglide 2 SP....one owner.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 03:15:42 AM »
Original air cleaner is present, just off to see the motor.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 01:55:24 PM »
All 67's used the worm-type hose clamps with the little locator arm on them on all of the refrigerant hoses. I'd doubt if the A/C system shown in the photos was dealer-installed; the dealer-installed A/C was a "universal" system that hung below the center of the dash, and the original heater system was retained. The system shown in the photo is a factory system.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
check the trim tag. should be a letter E in group 2. looks like factory air to me.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
What to do? - Clean it, maintain it & drive it. No sense going crazy with that one IMHO. Nice original complete driver that needs some soap and gaskets. Maximum enjoyment with minimal expense.

-Mark.

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:48:41 AM »
Double checked on A/C.  Your are correct, thank you.  Talked to local machine shop.  They gave similar advice.

Mike

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
That's a cool find!  If it is as nice as it looks in the photos it looks like a survivor to me. If the engine and trans work fine pull them and put new gaskets in and drive it.

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »
as far as dependable NOTHING V8 EXIST'S THAT WOULD BE ANY MORE DEPENDABLE THAN A 327 210 !
more power YES but a 327 210 is as reliable as the sun set ! just tune it keep the point's dwell right AND DRIVE IT !
I have a similar car mine has the 327 210 and 2spd power glide I reringed the engine 10 year's ago and have drove it since ,
nice car you have there VERY NICE !
my advice is as follow's
#1 fix EVERYTHING , brake's , hose's , change all the fluid's , fix any bad leak's , make everything work good
#2 CLEAN ER UP !
#3 ENJOY IT that car will draw a crowd at any cruz night you take it out to ,
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:31 AM »
Today I drove it to my home for further repair.  Suspension wiggles upon physically shaking so that's first.  Will introduce engine to degreaser and take more pics.
I feel a little overwhelmed as my friend heavily relies on me for guidance.   Not my car or money so little stressful.  He is looking to spend $1000 at the best laid areas.  My thoughts are getting it dependable, safe, and clean and then create a wish list to chip away at.

Powerglide slipped under heavy acceleration and up hills.  Has anyone rebuilt one that can tell me what I'm getting into?  While doing this I plan on rebuilding motor and using new rings if shop says I can get away with it (hope not to bore).  I've only worked on a Muncie.

Keep the opinions coming...much appreciated.

Mike

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 02:09:40 AM »
 I think your right on in your assessment to get it safe and dependable first. I can't help you with the powerglide as I've never worked on one, but shouldn't be too tough if you have experience with a Muncie. I'm sure that someone here can help you with it though. More picts would be cool!

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:12:21 AM »
Cowl tag.

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:13:51 AM »
Trans. cover missing.  O'well I'll have to find one.  Are the originals the same as the repro?

If you have a trained eye you should see a hanging rod on the right side of pick.  Can you name it?  What it does?  Where it attaches?  I'll save the answer and have some fun with this one. :D

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:32 AM »
Few rust spots in normal places.

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:22:46 AM »
The wheels has a piece of paper or sticker on the rim area when taking off the cover.  Is this a factory tag?  Can't make out what it might say.

heckler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 03:46:47 AM »
Is this a original brake cylinder part number?  I inverted the pic so number could be read.

anything