Author Topic: '68 Disc Brake Assembly  (Read 5304 times)

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
'68 Disc Brake Assembly
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:54:27 AM »
I am re-installing my original (double) piston calipers after a failed attempt at using a single piston variety. The guy who sold me the new set neglected to tell me that I would have to use 15" rims.

Does anyone have a good picture or diagram that shows the original caliper, bracket, backing plate etc...and how they go back together? Maybe an exploded diagram of the assembly?

Thanks!

Vic
Vic Brincat
1968 Camaro RS Convertible - 327

vtfb68

• View Profile
Re: '68 Disc Brake Assembly
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »
Vic,
 1968 Factory disc brake camaros (- Z/28) came with 14" wheels. The offset (wheel depth) is what is crucial.
 Scour through this site and the answers to most of your questions will be here. Click on the little boxes on the home page. A chassis service manual, Fisher body service manual are great investments. If you are going to be taking it apart a Factory assembly manual is a must. Good luck.
  Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
Victor,

thanks for the reply. I actually do have the CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL. But for some reason the photographs are so poor, I cannot make outthe detail I need. The diagrams are much clearer ..and they show an expanded view of the caliper itself..but there is not a diagram showing which way the support bracket goes, where the small metal brake line and it's bracket attaches, etc. I'm sure the pictures show this..but I cannot make them out. So if someone has a picture or a diagram with an exploded view, it would really help...thanks!

Is there difference between the CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL and a FACTORY ASSEMBLY MANUAL?

Just to clarify..I want to retain the original 14" rims.

Also...what is meant by a "two piece" disc...what are the two pieces that I see mentioned in '67 and 68 models?

Vic
Vic Brincat

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:14:58 AM »
I fumbled around with all the  original brake parts that were removed from my car  and tried to "mock" assemble them on the bench.

I have attached two pictures showing the left wheel caliper, backing plate,  bracket, etc. This is looking from inside out.

I think I have it right. Could someone confirm that this is the correct assembly for the left side looking from the inside out.

Thanks!
Vic Brincat

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:22 AM »
Vic,
 Yes they are different, One is to repair the car and the other to put the car together. You can use the correct 14" wheels, what are you using? Two piece rotors were a early 67 thing with a hub and a matching rotor. The photo seems to indicate that you are using the wrong holes, look for holes further out on the backing plate. Look at the picture then imagine a rotor in place.... the rotor diameter is just a bit smaller than the backing plate. Try mocking the parts up with the spindle, that should help. Be sure you have all the parts and pieces that were removed in the first place. Keep us posted. Good luck.
 Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:57 AM »
Thanks for the info, Victor.

I just ordered a CD version of both these manuals.

Original calipers have been rebuilt with stainless steel sleeves. Just waiting from some new backing plates and brake pad pins to re-assemble them.

Will get some pics when done.

Vic
Vic Brincat

anything