Author Topic: has anyone seen different versions of the light monitoring system ?  (Read 8039 times)

malley67

• View Profile
hi guys,
i was wondering if anyone has ever noticed different version of the light monitoring on the front guards ? some with 2 lights and some with 3 ? i will try and add some pix. ???
cheers,
rohan

Oaklyss

• View Profile
Re: has anyone seen different versions of the light monitoring system ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
Yes, I have seen 2 lens versions, and other weird ones. The ones you show are correct for Camaro.
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

malley67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 01:28:44 AM »
hi guys,
actually, i wonder if it has something to do with the RS having  lights in the front valance panel.
what do you think ?
rohan

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 02:16:04 AM »
The lenses were the same for all camaros. The front fender lenses were green, clear & clear. The rear monitor had three lights the center yellow(license plate) and the outer are red (driving, turn signal, and brake) .
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

malley67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 05:37:42 AM »
but if you notice in the pix of the front guards, one of them has just 2 lights ( green and clear )  ???

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:37:25 PM »
Chevelles from 70-72 had three lenses . The third lens monitors the high beam which the camaro and earlier chevelles did not.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

malley67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:13:03 AM »
hi paceme,
unfortunately that doesn't explain it as camaros do have high beam lights.
thanks for your reply anyway,
cheers,
rohan

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »
If you check the 69 assembly manual, U46  A2  page 425, you will see only 2 fiber optics for the front.  You cannot have three since the high beam and low beam are the same bulb.
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
Is it an LA built car?  The factory in LA would have both 2 and 3 lense front monitors on hand, so its possible someone grabbed one intended for a car with 4 headlamps.  Norwood would not have any 3 lamp monitors on hand since all they made in 68 was Camaros.  Might be possible in late 69 at Norwood after April when the firebirds were being made there since they habe 4 headlamps and would need a lens monitor (assuming it was an option on the FBs)
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »
For '68 Camaro, there's two fibers each side at the front, one for headlamp and the other for park/indicator lamp.
The 3 rear ones are for L + R tail/stop and number plate lamp.

but if you notice in the pix of the front guards, one of them has just 2 lights ( green and clear )  ???
Not correct, top and bottom pics are of the same car [different locations] with 3 lenses in left and right. Your middle pic is not clear, if you blow it up you can see the middle lens in that one too. [same car still???]

If you check the 69 assembly manual, U46  A2  page 425, you will see only 2 fiber optics for the front.  You cannot have three since the high beam and low beam are the same bulb.
yep, though strictly speaking, it's not a hi/lo beam situation, it's 1 or 2 headlights [for the benefit of others]

Is it an LA built car?  The factory in LA would have both 2 and 3 lense front monitors on hand, so its possible someone grabbed one intended for a car with 4 headlamps.  Norwood would not have any 3 lamp monitors on hand since all they made in 68 was Camaros.  Might be possible in late 69 at Norwood after April when the firebirds were being made there since they habe 4 headlamps and would need a lens monitor (assuming it was an option on the FBs)
Unfortunately, what's on my dec '67 built car throws a spanner in this theory.
It has the 3 lenses [green, clear, clear] and is a Norwood car.
Also, I know it's an assembly for a 2 fiber per side vehicle because the rubber mount inside the guard bezel that the lens and fibers sit in, has the inner clear position blanked off at the lens end and has no slits in the rubber in that cavity for a ferrule rim to engage into.
I've never seen a Camaro monitor without the middle lens.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:16:03 AM »
Just for clarification the front monitors on the camaro had two cable(per side). One monitored the turn signal and the other monitored the headlamp. Since the Chevelle/Firebird was a four headlight system  they added an extra cable to monitor the high beam, so the chevelle was a three light monitoring system. One cable hi beam, one cable for low beam and one cable for turn signal.
Steve Shauger

malley67

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 02:36:54 AM »
hi My68SS,
they are different cars, one is a coupe and the other is a convertible, one can be found on google images www.camaro1968site.com/History.html and the other is on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSy0reoppg4

cheers,
rohan