Author Topic: BRISTOL, TN, NHRA RACE  (Read 6513 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
BRISTOL, TN, NHRA RACE
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
Just an FYI for everyone on this site.  Racing at the Bristol NHRA natinonal event this weekend, Fri, Sat and Sun.  Of special note, Ben Wenzel is here with his '67 Z28 too.  As many Camaro historians know Ben bought this car new and won the biggest drag racing event in 1967, the US Nationals in Indianapolis.  Ben and brother David are sportsmen legends in the world of drag racing! 

We are pitted together and it's so cool to see two real 1967 Z28's parked togehter.  You will not see that at ANY NHRA national events. 

Another cool car will be here too.  Donny Beeler's '67 L48 4-speed Camaro.  This Granada gold Camaro looks almost like it did when it rolled off the assembly line in 1967.  And it's fast!  Low 11 sec ET's.

What I have always loved about Stock Eliminator is the fact that this class is the only class in all of motorsports where the car has to remain almost identical to the way it left the showroom floor with the exception of safety equipment, headers and 9" rear tires.

Class eliminations for us is tomorrow.  This track is an awesome facility!

Jerry

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: BRISTOL, TN, NHRA RACE
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
Break a leg Jerry!

Paul

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
Good luck Jerry ,see you in Carlisle next weekend
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

rare4k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:24:56 AM »
were are the PICS ?  show us the PICS please and good luck !!!!

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »
Jerry,

Get some video with SOUND this time, eh?

Best of Luck. See you Tuesday night!

John
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »
Good luck Jerry, i love to be there and see the 67Z together in the pits, awesome cars. Met Ben Wenzel at 131 US Motorsports park at an IHRA event. Class people. Set more records Jerry, i bet the Wenzels are looking for some great ETs also. Have fun.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:55:10 AM »
I am back.  Was very HOT down there.  DA was about 4300 feet.  Qualified #9 out of 68 cars.  Won the D/Stock class and a Wally.  Ben Wenzel won the Wally for C/Stock.  Very slow down there.  Didn't break anything.  Lost 1st round in the eliminator by .0006.  Ran a 10.794 on a 10.80 dial.  Other guy went an 11.05 on an 11.05.  Close racing!

See everyone at the Camaro Nats this week.  Will have the '67 Z28 race car on display for all to see along with the offical NHRA paperwork that states the performance stats.  The 10.45 ET at 126.21 mph was the quickest run in motorsport's history for a stock Z28 Camaro. 

Jerry

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:44 AM »
Jerry that heat alone as you stated had a big effect on your Z perf. Its hard to hook up on that 60 ft area and it just slows you down. Glad nothing broke and you had a good time. Good to see Ben Wenzel ran well. Hopefully it would be nice Super Chevy did a pic both of your cars together at a another event down the road. Jerry are you ever coming up to Mich to race? Wenzel has been there a lot years back and some recently. US131 Motorsports Park, Martin Mich is the track. Jerry one of the best drag strips you will ever see and run on, smooth as glass. Let me know if you ever come to Mich, like to see your car, talk and get some pics.

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »
Was wondering why Ben's car is in C and yours in D?
Also what horsepower factor has NHRA assigned to the 67 Z28 to have it running all the way up in D stock?

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »
My guess would be a weight difference between the 2 cars.  Ben's car is a standard coupe where Jerry's is an rally sport car.
Russ