Author Topic: '68 Z Pitman Arms...  (Read 12833 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
'68 Z Pitman Arms...
« on: June 12, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »
For a '68 Z 2/8 are there any reasonably inexpensive sources of pitman arms (standard ratio - manual steering) available these days?
In the past the only ones I have seen were crazy price-wise and up into the $200 range and there always seems to be some debate as to whether the ones advertised were correct for a standard ratio steering set up and not the fast ratio variant.
Even an old Moog catalog I have shows an application and part number for what they state is  Z 2/8 model specific, but I highly doubt it is correct since I thought they were very rare and hard to find. I have the feeling that ordering one from Moog (and it would have to be ordered as well as prepaid around here) would probably end up disclosing either a cataloging or application number error and I would just end up with a generic Camaro part in the end...
Additionally, can anyone tell me what the actual length should be for the Z  2/8 specific standard ratio variety version and whether aftermarket ones (if available) come with any stamped or cast in identifiers to make sure one gets the correct version?
Thanks for any help here - Randy

68Zproject

• View Profile
68Z28

dutch

• View Profile
Re: '68 Z Pitman Arms...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:16:47 AM »
Yep - thanks for the link - but it is still in my cloudy mind just as clear as mud and in keeping with a lot of other stuff I've seen on many of the sites that provide parts that I visited previously, in searches prior to my original posting...

No insult or disrespect intended to you or Pozzi, but there must be answer or a specific part number and/or source to get one of these for a '68 Z that doesn't require a slide rule to decipher what may or may not be available or should be used / verses what might be best to autocross / or improve the performance of an original set up - or is this such a cloudy area that places like Rick's or Year One doesn't even list a replacement part for good reason?

Guess I'll have to crawl under the car and start scraping away to see if I can decipher what the actual numbers are on the one that came with and is still on the car to cross reference to a modern equivalent - but I guess I assumed it would be a much easier process than what I'm seeing so far! 
Guess also, that even that may not even guarantee a good match with something available from what I can see so far...

All I know (from my lack of front end knowledge at this point) is that it seems that like a pretty grey area as to what I may need - and especially where I may be able to find it if and when I do figure that out!  For 7200 of these made one would consider there would be a more definitive answer and / or replacement parts available - but then again, may I'm expecting too much...

Randy

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:20:48 AM »
I've asked the same question on here and haven't gotten much in the way of answers.  There are people who restore cars and I would think they have a source for original stuff, but I haven't heard of any.
68Z28

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »
Thanks again 68Z for your help...

Randy

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
I'm back to this again - in the sense that I just had a good front end guy assess my car yesterday to see exactly what it would take to make it all perfect and he came away telling me that everything on the car looked like it could be the original parts but that they all were in great condition except one wheel bearing should be tightened up a bit to make it right and that I badly need an idler arm to go along with the Pitman arm I already knew about...

Sort of a 'good news - bad news' deal in the sense that the 'good' is that I don't need too much - 'bad' as in that I can't seem to find what I can see are Z 2/8 spec'd replacement stuff!

Can anyone tell me if the idler is Z 2/8 specific in the same way as the pitman arm (unavailable from any of the sources I have tried so far) seems to be ?
I would very much like to get this all cleaned up and of course at as much of a minimum of cost involved as possible - so again - if anyone knows where or how best to source either of these parts to allow me get it back to "as good as original" with good quality replacement stuff if available - it would be much appreciated...

Thanks again - Randy 

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:28:15 AM »
  I cannot help you with finding the parts but I have a 68 Z also that I'm collecting parts for to start the resto. If you find the correct pitman arm and or idler arm would you please post who you get them from?

Thanks

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 03:47:38 AM »
I used a repro part (all that is available now) that was not a Moog part. In less than 4000 miles it has started to get some slop in it. I thought I heard Moog was making them again. If they are I will buy one of them.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:22:46 AM »
I used a repro part (all that is available now) that was not a Moog part. In less than 4000 miles it has started to get some slop in it. I thought I heard Moog was making them again. If they are I will buy one of them.
That's a bummer too hear. Do you know the name of the manufacture for the repo one you bought? I Definitely don't want one that is starting to wear at 4000 miles. I will look into Moog also.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 04:54:09 AM »
I have checked a lot of Moog and their supplier sites lately and don't see any parts specific to Z 2/8's unfortunately - just many of the same parts which are generic Camaro bits (non-Z'ed)...
Please let me know, if you in fact come across specific non-power steering Pitman and Idler arms which Moog or any others may be remaking considering there seems to be no one else attempting to satisfy this market... - Randy

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
The manual pitman arm on our 68 Z/28 has an embossed cast part # of "3935075 A" with a "GMT 10" below the part #. How many different manual pitman arms were utilized?
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 03:28:39 AM »
I haven't yet crawled under my car to get any numbers off the pitman (if they are there at all) but if yours is a standard steering version I would guess your numbers are what I should find as well..
As to your question regarding how many different types of Pitman arms there were - from little I can make of it all, it seems there probably could have been 3  Z2/8 versions - those being a regular Z2/8 model specific standard steering version (which was already a faster ratio than normal manual steering Camaro models came with - and I therefore assume longer length??), a power steering option variant (not sure how that version's length would compare) and the optional fast ratio version which I would also assume could be the same for either a power steering or manual, at yet a different length again.
I'm only guessing here because I don't really know and I wished someone with a good handle on this could have chimed in here. I do know from the sites and parts suppliers books I have scanned through - there seems to be 3 different lengths available for 'normal' Camaros which correspond to the standard, power, and maybe fast steering versions (if available) - but if and how these available and advertised ones would work as replacements for Z2/8 specific versions, I'm not sure, thus my wish for the schooling.
To complicate it even more it seems '69's have parts that are year specific and not usable on the first 2 years...
This can't be all that hard for many who have experienced problems with these over the years and replaced them - all I really need to know is what my options are regarding getting some bits that will work - verses hearing 'your screwed' type of thing.
My local parts suppliers and Moog distributors can't tell me much as I usually am the one to have to provide them with 'researched' part numbers to order to get a Z2/8 specific piece or replacement part.
 I was hopeful this site and it's group of long standing experts would be able to clear away some of mystery for me here...   - Randy     

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
For added input, the pitman arm on my manual steering '68 (L30/M20) has 20 GMT 3935075A forged on it. Hope this helps, RonM.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:16:18 PM »
For reference, the '69 Z/28 standard manual steering pitman arm has a 3953227 forging number. Z/28's also used unique (shorter) steering arms on the spindles. I think William has these variables surrounded if he sees this thread.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 05:27:33 AM »
  The numbers on mine which is a manual steering car are; 11GMT 3935075 B as near as I can make out. The B might be an A but it's hard to tell. The 11GMT come in front of the 3935075 B on my car. If it matters my car is a 04A build 68 Z.