Author Topic: Manual shifter has very close gear locations  (Read 2937 times)

Zoatus

• Car
    • View Profile
Manual shifter has very close gear locations
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »
This spring I purchased a 1969 Camaro and found that the 4 speed Muncie transmission has little room when putting it into gear and I'm find that it is difficult to determine if your in reverse, first, or third. I have driven a lot of stands new and old and have never had one that is this tight between gear locations. I’m wondering if this is normal for this tranny model or is the linkage not setup correctly on the car. Any info would be great. My center console is missing but I can’t see that being and issue (here is a picture).

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Manual shifter has very close gear locations
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:16:49 AM »
What kind of shifter do you have?  Competition Plus shifters have adjustable stops.  I don't see the usual, long handle like stock or Comp+.  Maybe it's a short throw shifter?

Some people are known to make their own short throw shift levers (the flat bars mounted to the transmission forks).  You could also try adjusting the linkage to make sure it is set up correctly.  But usually, one can't shift between 2nd and 3rd or into reverse when the adjustment is way off...

anything