Author Topic: Need Help With Correct Set-Up for '67 PCV, Air Cleaner, Valve Covers, etc  (Read 7803 times)

GSD5

• View Profile
    • 1967 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
At the risk of maybe repeating a question (I checked the archives and couldn't find it put quite this way)..is there a definitive answer to what the correct set-up is for a 67 SS 350 in terms of PCV valve, Air Cleaner, valve covers and related tubes and hoses? I'm running an open element air cleaner (chrome), with the PCV valve in the LH valve cover, and a plug in the PCV port in my oil filler tube (also chrome). The oil filler tube has a sealing-type cap, also chrome. Valve cleaners are chrome (plain, non-scripted) and I have a breather in the hole in the RH valve cover. I think virtually all of it has some aspect of it that is incorrect, but it works pretty well.

I've seen the new repro chrome valve covers, scripted with no holes, which purport to be correct, and are very nice, and would also prompt me to change around a good bit of stuff. Also, I believe I've seen the open element air cleaner depicted as a "correct option", but can't get completely comfortable whether it is or not...

Any help  or input will be much appreciate
67RS/SS Convertible

plumL78

• View Profile
they used a road draft tube that comes out of the back of the block . so no hole in valve covers  and no pcv valve. oil cap is like a breather cap on the front of the intake

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
they used a road draft tube that comes out of the back of the block . so no hole in valve covers  and no pcv valve. oil cap is like a breather cap on the front of the intake

Nope. The '67 L-48 engine vent system is the same as the L-30; see the Assembly Manual, section L-30, sheet A3. The road draft tube disappeared at the end of the 1962 model year.

If you look in the L-48 section, the ventilation system isn't illustrated; look on the "non-illustrated parts" sheet (A2), and under UPC 6, line 6H, "Engine Vent System", it says "Assemble same as RPO L30". Then you go to the L-30 section and it shows you the installation.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:12:23 PM by JohnZ »
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Petes L48

• View Profile
Related closed vent system question - is the "Tube Asm." 3881848, item 11 shown in section K24, sheet A3 (penned in as page 267 at bottom) also referred to as a road draft tube?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
<<Related closed vent system question - is the "Tube Asm." 3881848, item 11 shown in section K24, sheet A3 (penned in as page 267 at bottom) also referred to as a road draft tube?>>

Nope. The "road draft tube" attached to the same vent hole in the back of the block, but went across the back of the block and down the passenger side, ending below the starter; it was last used in 1962. Photo below.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

plumL78

• View Profile
So John  it still came out of the back of the motor from that cannister thats under the intake right.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
So John  it still came out of the back of the motor from that cannister thats under the intake right.

Yes, that's correct.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
I've seen two separate setups for crankcase ventilation on the SS350.  Here is a picture of my own that has no connections to the valve covers or air cleaner.  This is in the assembly manual  at UPC L30, A3.  This one uses the push on type vented oil filler cap.

The other system uses the pcv screwed into the oil filer tube and connects a hose from the pcv to the front of the carb. This would also have a hose going directly from the crankcase vent pipe at the back of the block to the air cleaner.  The oil cap twists on and seals.  That one is seen at UPC K24, A2.  You can see the hose from the oil filler tube pcv to the front of the carb on the L48, or to the rear of the carb on the 327 2 barrel.

67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
I wanted to add that the pcv is there but hard to see.  It's held by a clamp next to the vacuum advance.
67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

anything