Author Topic: 67 V32 rear bumper guard  (Read 8061 times)

big iron

• View Profile
67 V32 rear bumper guard
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:55:18 AM »
Looking at UPC V32 A1. Does the cushion #2 have studs w/ stamped machined thread nuts #12????? Do the reproductions have the correct studs?
Anyone have a picture of #3(Screw & L. Washer ASM) and #4(Spl. Washer)? AMK shows #3 & 4 as 3/8-16 w/conical washer but I do not think that is correct.
Need substitution for #58 plastic seam cement # 3851970. What color was original plastic cement?

big iron

• View Profile
Re: 67 V32 rear bumper guard
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
So no one has a 67 with original RPO V32 rear bumper guards? I would have thought with 35,000 being produced a couple would have survived.
How about a 68, uses the same procedures and parts.
If no picture available , how about a description?
Bob

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
i have a 68 assembly manual with V31/V32 bumper assembly specs, what can I help u with?

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:04:47 AM »
My 67 is two states away in storage but as I recall the rear cushions had threaded studs and used a stamped nut, same as the NOS front guards I have in the basement.  I have no idea what the repops use.  FWIW my #3 bolts were 3/8-16 threaded to a point with star washer as shown in the AIM.  Can't remember if the #4 washer was flat with dimples on one side or just slightly dished.  I think both bolt asm and washer were phosphate finish.  The #5 bolt is a silver zinc 3/8-16x1 with TR on the head and three hashmarks for grade 5, same as B-10149 AMK sells.  This is all assuming it was original when disassembled.  I sparingly used either dark gray body putty or black 3M weatherstrip adhesive to seal the holes.  You really couldn't see it once assembled.  It will be a month before I get back to the car to take any pics.     

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:44:58 PM »
Petes L48,
Thank you for your responce.
Your description of #5 bolt has been confirmed by another member.
Your description of #3 bolt brings up a couple questions that you can confirm when you next visit your ride.

1-A is it a hex bolt w/a point? B is it a hex flange bolt w/a point? C is hex machine screw w/a point?

2-A is the star lock washer inside or outside? B is the lock washer captured to the #3 bolt (assembly)?

Head markings.

Is the #4 washer 1-flat? 2-conical? 3-conical w/dimples? 4-O.D. of washer and how thick?

I know this is allot to ask but I would like to rebuild my ride as correctly as possible.
Thanks again.
Bob

HOGDADDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:30:07 AM »
Here is some nos hardware from some nos rear bumper guards I have. I am not positive these are just like the factory installed ones.
Scroll down for the pics I posted on TC.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171217&highlight=nos+bumper+guards

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »
Your's is the 2nd set of nos guards and hardware I have seen and they are both the same, including hardware, good find. What is the O.D. and how thick was the washer in your kit?
Now the question remains , at least for me, what hardware was used on the original factory 67,68 installation.
Did the lower hex machine screw asm. have an inside lock washer or was it a conical washer like the one's used in the nos assembly.
The 67,68 AIM shows a wielded on nut on the lower bracket but all I have seen have a pierced hole with 3/8-16 threads.
Thanks for the responce, greatly appreciated.
Bob

Here is some nos hardware from some nos rear bumper guards I have. I am not positive these are just like the factory installed ones.
Scroll down for the pics I posted on TC.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171217&highlight=nos+bumper+guards

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
RE: the #3 bolt, I think this is what you were looking for.

Here's what was in my LOS 11Bcar, I believe these are original. 

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/RAP617983/Camaro/67%20rear%20large%20bumper%20bracket/?albumview=slideshow

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 11:28:27 PM »
Petes L48,
I want to thank you for the great pictures but I still have one question. Was there a large washer under the bolt #3 with the captured washer?
It looks like the factory could have replaced #3(screw & L. washer asm.),#4(spl. washer) with a bolt and conical washer. The thick conical washer would have the same function as the L. washer and spl. washer.
Now, can any one confirm this that has an original 67 NOR V32 option. There may be a difference between LOS and NOR. bolts.
Bob
RE: the #3 bolt, I think this is what you were looking for.

Here's what was in my LOS 11Bcar, I believe these are original. 

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/RAP617983/Camaro/67%20rear%20large%20bumper%20bracket/?albumview=slideshow

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 04:30:48 AM »
FWIW both sides were the same - the #3 bolt with that captured thick/dished washer, nothing else.  The car was repainted (poorly, in a similar color) when I got it back in mid 80's so I'm not certain the bumper was ever off the car.  I noticed the washer on mine seems slightly larger in diameter than the 3872455 they show in the AMK catalog.  The bolt isn't all that long to start with, don't know if they'd have another washer underneath this or enough thread to accommodate one.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
What is the length of the bolt and the OD of the washer ? The AMK is 15/16 long w/.88 OD washer but I believe that the OD is too small for the application.
Bob
FWIW both sides were the same - the #3 bolt with that captured thick/dished washer, nothing else.  The car was repainted (poorly, in a similar color) when I got it back in mid 80's so I'm not certain the bumper was ever off the car.  I noticed the washer on mine seems slightly larger in diameter than the 3872455 they show in the AMK catalog.  The bolt isn't all that long to start with, don't know if they'd have another washer underneath this or enough thread to accommodate one.