Author Topic: Ground strap speedo pod  (Read 14077 times)

RonM

• View Profile
Re: Ground strap speedo pod
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 11:33:04 AM »
The bulletin dealing with the ground wire is dated Jan. 2, 1968, so it's anyone's guess when it came into effect. As for the binder, I picked it up on Ebay 4 or 5 years ago. It's loaded with interesting reading (bulletins, monthly news letters, instructional booklets, spec. sheets, etc.). One I find real interesting has to do with the early 427 Corvettes. It looks like they were having problems with overheating (new body design I suppose), one of the steps to correct the problem was to cut out openings in the lower valance panel and touch up raw edges with body color. They even supplied the template as part of the technical bulletin. Can you imagine dropping off your Vette at the dealer and then picking it up at the end of the day with touched up openings in the lower valance. That must have been entertaining, RonM.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 01:44:07 AM »
Well, I finally got under my dash and took it out part-way.  I have the wire, B2 view A and I have the solid round strap that goes to the high beam light B3 by the #7 bulb.  Not the flat strip like on post #9.  This would be correct for an 05D?
68Z28

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 02:59:12 AM »
Your 05D ( May 4th week 68 ) should have the B2 view A setup. What is the date on the circuit board on the back of the cluster?
Well, I finally got under my dash and took it out part-way.  I have the wire, B2 view A and I have the solid round strap that goes to the high beam light B3 by the #7 bulb.  Not the flat strip like on post #9.  This would be correct for an 05D?

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:36 AM »
Your 05D ( May 4th week 68 ) should have the B2 view A setup. What is the date on the circuit board on the back of the cluster?

No flat strip like on flyingskibiker?  top picture  http://camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5778.0
68Z28

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 09:08:41 AM »
My car has the same ground strap pictured in reply #9. Hope this helps, RonM.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »

So, some time after Jan 2 1968, certainly in time for my car, it would have changed from the wire around the high beam light to the flat strip.
68Z28

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 02:02:49 AM »
Yes, and you should have the additional ground wire on the back of the cluster.

So, some time after Jan 2 1968, certainly in time for my car, it would have changed from the wire around the high beam light to the flat strip.

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
The bulletin dated Jan. 2, 1968 had nothing to do with the ground strap for the high-beam indicator, only the ground wire connected to the bottom screw on the back of the cluster and the other end grounded to the pedal support in order to correct problems with the dash lights, fuel gauge or clock. The ground strap alone wasn't a good enough ground. Hope this helps, RonM.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
I guess the info I'm trying to understand is the type of ground used at the top of the cluster.  The info seems to be that the round stiff wire around the high beam indicator is what came in 67's and was maybe used for some early 68's.  The flat strip was a later year change and is what should be on my car build date.  Then the additional ground wire at the bottom was added early in 1968 (which I have).
68Z28

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:30 AM »
Correct.
I guess the info I'm trying to understand is the type of ground used at the top of the cluster.  The info seems to be that the round stiff wire around the high beam indicator is what came in 67's and was maybe used for some early 68's.  The flat strip was a later year change and is what should be on my car build date.  Then the additional ground wire at the bottom was added early in 1968 (which I have).