Author Topic: Ground strap speedo pod  (Read 14080 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Ground strap speedo pod
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:04:04 PM »
What did the ground strap look like originally on the back of the 68 cluster?  Was it a long wire type thing or was it a thin flat piece of metal like the one HBC sells?
68Z28

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Ground strap speedo pod
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »
I thought it was both?  There is a ground wire.  Then, some kind of metal bracket/strap thing.  But that might not be for ground?  Found it.  '68 AIM: UPC 12, sheet B2.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:09:34 AM »
There looks to be two.  The page you were on shows something that looks like the HBC ground strap that the Screw #1 goes to.  The one I was thinking of is on page B3 and goes around the socket for the high beam indicator.  Mine is broken and I was looking for a repro of that and can't find one.
68Z28

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:58:23 AM »
Just for thought.
UPC 12 B3 is the same grounding system as used in 67. The 67 system could have been carried over into some the early 68's. UPC 12 B2 looks like an early 68 system with the flat grounding wire. The ground wire at the rear of the cluster was a mid year change.
Anybody out there with an early 68 with the 67 system?

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 01:18:51 AM »
Yah, mine looks like (through a little inspection mirror and a cramped neck) the socket has an integral strap that runs up to the screw above.  I don't see anything like that metal(?) wire in B3...  There is nothing around/under the socket screws or anything.  But I DO have console w/ gauges.  Would that make a difference?  I have a 11C '68.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 02:45:51 AM »
Looking at UPC 12 B2, do you have the ground wire ( view A) # 6 ?
Yah, mine looks like (through a little inspection mirror and a cramped neck) the socket has an integral strap that runs up to the screw above.  I don't see anything like that metal(?) wire in B3...  There is nothing around/under the socket screws or anything.  But I DO have console w/ gauges.  Would that make a difference?  I have a 11C '68.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:15:26 AM »
You can get one off a 67. Take the broken wire and go to the hobby shop and they can fix you up with the wire you need (airplane landing gear). What is the build date on your ride?
Bob
There looks to be two.  The page you were on shows something that looks like the HBC ground strap that the Screw #1 goes to.  The one I was thinking of is on page B3 and goes around the socket for the high beam indicator.  Mine is broken and I was looking for a repro of that and can't find one.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:26:17 AM »
Mine is an 05D of 68.  I was thinking it would be easy to make one, I just wondered if there was a repro.  Thanks for the heads up on the hobby shop.  I have one pretty close to the house.  I'm going to look and see if mine has both or just the wire.
68Z28

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
If your build date is 11C 67, then I think you have the correct ground system, if you do not have the ground wire (view A#6). RPO U17 gages would have no interaction with the cluster ground system.
Yah, mine looks like (through a little inspection mirror and a cramped neck) the socket has an integral strap that runs up to the screw above.  I don't see anything like that metal(?) wire in B3...  There is nothing around/under the socket screws or anything.  But I DO have console w/ gages.  Would that make a difference?  I have a 11C '68.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 11:23:21 PM »
If your build date is 11C 67, then I think you have the correct ground system, if you do not have the ground wire (view A#6). RPO U17 gages would have no interaction with the cluster ground system.
Yah, mine looks like (through a little inspection mirror and a cramped neck) the socket has an integral strap that runs up to the screw above.  I don't see anything like that metal(?) wire in B3...  There is nothing around/under the socket screws or anything.  But I DO have console w/ gages.  Would that make a difference?  I have a 11C '68.

All I have is the metal strap.  I THOUGHT I had the ground wire #6, too.  I may add it when I replace the harnesses...

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
flyingskibiker,
Great pictures of a 68 cluster.
In the first picture, is the lockwasher impression in the metal ground strap original, or was it something you added?
The 05D 68 build that 68zproject has should look like the cluster you have. except it should have the additional ground wire.
I wonder if that revision ever made it into production. Maybe someone with a late 68 build date (02 68>) could answer that question.
Bob

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 05:59:40 AM »
As far as I know, all that is "above" that strap is a J nut for the screw to go in.  I can check to see if there is something additional there...  It is currently out of the car.  I saw some stuff back there that needed attention.  So, out it came...

The weird thing is that I think that the connector to the rear harness is up nest to the defrost outlet in the dash!  The wire colors match.  But I always thought that connector was behind the kick panel and E brake...  Weird.

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
I'm putting the dash back together this weekend so right now I can look at everything you guys are talking about. My car is an 07D and it has both the cluster ground strap and the cluster ground wire. In addition I have a service bulletins binder for the '68 models and it shows the ground wire coming into effect on vehicles built after October '67. Hope this helps, RonM.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 02:24:09 AM »
RonM,
Great info.,Flyingskibiker's 11C 67 build could have been built with the additional ground wire. The only question left, did any of the early production 68's have the small ground wire instead of the strap?
Just wondering, is the service bulletins binder something you can purchase or is it a private thing.
Thanks
Bob

I'm putting the dash back together this weekend so right now I can look at everything you guys are talking about. My car is an 07D and it has both the cluster ground strap and the cluster ground wire. In addition I have a service bulletins binder for the '68 models and it shows the ground wire coming into effect on vehicles built after October '67. Hope this helps, RonM.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 05:29:04 AM »
Right.  Well, my car is no numbers car.  So, I will be putting extra grounds in MANY places...  Well, instruments (cluster and console), anywayz...  Who knows what else.  Again, I'll be rewiring my car along the way.  Good oportunity!