Author Topic: DZ 4053 Carb Date in Relation to Car Build Date, or Engine Build Date  (Read 7675 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Car is dated 4th week of Feb. 69' like John Z's car. With a VO224DZ Engine build. Do you use the build date of the Engine, or the Car build date to match up correct Carb. And either way, how long should it be. I have heard 3 weeks before the engine build date, and 2 months before the car build date. What's the common practice???????????
  Also, here is a question, Is Sat the 1st. of Feb. 69' considered the first week? It's a Sat., and they worked Saturday's. Sunday the 2nd. starts the second week. If a car is O2D, then that would be between the 16th and the 22nd? Right?..........Danny

Kelley W King

• View Profile
My 12A L78 car has a 4356 carb dated 8A2 which i think is 1968 november second week which comes out to 2 to 3 weeks before the body date. My block is a CE so I don,t know the original engine build date. My original trans with the vin is dated the 335 day of 1968 and the rear axle is dated K128 Nov. 12 1968. Even the am radio is about 2 weeks before 12A. Most everything I have seen is 2 to 3 weeks. My seat belts are dated about the same. It seems most parts were made to order and not stockpiled.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Car is dated 4th week of Feb. 69' like John Z's car. With a VO224DZ Engine build. Do you use the build date of the Engine, or the Car build date to match up correct Carb. And either way, how long should it be. I have heard 3 weeks before the engine build date, and 2 months before the car build date. What's the common practice???????????

The carburetor was installed at the car assembly plant, not at the engine plant, so it's back-dated from the car's final assembly date, not from the engine assembly date. Virtually every part on my 02D Z/28 is dated from late January to mid-February, and it came off the line on February 27th.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
JohnZ, so I am assuming that the the 1st. Sat. is not considered the first week. I talked to a carb guy with data from hundreds of Feb. 69' carbs, and there is NO 5th week. And he has never seen a dated 5th week of Feb. 69' Z/28 carb. He has a list of over 200 just for thst month. So I guess that takles care of that.

How did you determine the exact day of your cars assembly line release? ......Danny

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
05A survivor Z that I had a few years back had an 8B5, OEM to the car.

Jerry

bertfam

• View Profile
My 1968 05D Los Angeles L89 has a 833 (3rd week of March, 1968) date. Just over two months before the car build.

Ed

dannystarr

• View Profile
Wow, well I guess it just depends on what was laying close by. I'll go a few weeks back from build date. It won't be the original carb, but will be correct anyway.

Jerry, did you happen to get my fax of wanted parts??

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
How did you determine the exact day of your cars assembly line release? ......Danny

The car was sold new in Canada, and the Canada docs show it was shipped from Norwood on February 28th; 99% of cars were shipped the day they were built or the day after.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
No,. did not receive it.  Don't have a fax.

Jerry

dannystarr

• View Profile
Jerry I am surprised you didn't get the fax as it went thru to your fax number. I'll send it again right now. Any scheduled dates to come to CA for car documentation in the coming months? I heard from a friend that you were in Petaluma, CA a while back documenting 6 cars. I am 15 minutes away, wish I could have met up with ya. Some day maybe.....

JohnZ, the car I am looking at is owned by a friend and is a O2D build. It's the one I have asked ya a couple questions about in the past. So I was just curious how you found the near exact build date.......Danny

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Danny,

I am putting another CA trip together this summer.  E-mail me if you want to be included and I'll give you details.  z28camaroman@juno.com.

Thanks,

Jerry 

anything