Author Topic: cover for upper control arm????  (Read 12497 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
cover for upper control arm????
« on: April 27, 2006, 11:38:23 AM »
 ???
Once again I need the help of CRG. In the engine compartment for a 67 small block. Is there a cover of some sort that attaches to the inner wheel wells to cover the upper control arms and help keep road grime and water out of the engine compartment? I was showing my car to a friend here at work this morning and he stated that there is such a cover. I have no clue if this is true or not.

DAB67 

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: cover for upper control arm????
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:35:51 PM »
LH splash shield.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:36:20 PM »
There are splash shields that attach to the inner fenders via staples.

Attached pictures show the new splash shields installed in my '69 RS prior to reinstalling the motor.

Pic of the RH splash shield
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:21:52 PM »
Once again CRG comes through.
Thanks Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now all I have to do is find a pair for a 67.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »
They are readily available from the various restoration sources.  Although one might be able to install the new ones with the inner fenders in place, the way to do this is to replace the splash shields with the inner fenders off of the car.  You get new staples with the splash shields.  What you have to do is lay out the new splash shields on the inner fenders and install the new staples through the existing holes in the inner fender.  I'd hate to try this with the inner fenders in place. 
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:37:53 AM »
Rich:

I talked with Rick's First Generation and ordered them.

Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »
Rich:

Been a few months regarding this.But spring is just around the corner and this is one of the last items I have on my"hit list" to do.
Do you mount the sheilds with the staples from the inside out with or from the outside in? ???

Dave

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »
from the inside (engine side) out
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »
Rich:

Been a few months regarding this.But spring is just around the corner and this is one of the last items I have on my"hit list" to do.
Do you mount the sheilds with the staples from the inside out with or from the outside in? ???

Dave

Dave,

The staples are installed from the engine side of the inner fender and then the ends are bent over on the wheel well side.  The attached picture shows my LH side splash shield and you can also see the staples.  When I did this, it wasn’t too hard.  I used a little weather strip adhesive to temporarily glue the new splash shields in the same location as the originals.  Once the glue dried, I used a sharp ice pick with a very narrow end to poke new holes through the splash shield from the engine compartment side of the inner fender.  After punching two holes, I pushed through the new staple and bent the ends down on the underside with a hammer. 

In the picture, there is one thing with the splash shield that is not correct.  The end of the splash shield in the picture that is just lying across the upper control arm should be tucked in behind the cross shaft of the upper control arm.

Good luck,

Richard
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 04:47:38 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 06:20:04 PM »
Thanks again Rich, I got it, hopefully this is the last item I have to deal with in the engine compartment area this year.

Winter projects as follows:
Replaced door window felts and vent window felts
door weatherstripping and trunk seal
underdash harness, last harness to replace hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
powder coated intake manifold, replaced alternator
installed glove box light
replaced latches on both frt seats and the hinge covers
Replaced brakes
And the last item I can't do, have to have the tranny dropped and replace seals
And this spring and summer will keep looking for that elusive flywheel cover for the powerglide!!!!!!!

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 07:54:39 PM »
Dave,

I've got two of the flywheel covers, supposedly from PG trannys, hanging on my gargae wall.  At least the guy who sold them on eBay said they came off of PG.

The original cover on my glide was a plastic piece that basically just fell apart.  Purchased a repro metal cover through the aftermarket which fit like crap, but I eventually massaged the metal enough to make all the bolt holes line up.  I purchased these two (also metal covers - but supposedly original GM) in the event that I ever have the repro pacific rim piece off the car I can put one of them on.  Be willing to part with one if you are interested.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:00:27 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Mr12771

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »
 Reseal a trany? You live in Kenosha right? I own a trany shop in Sturtevant. What is leaking, or wrong that you need it resealed? If it's just leaking we can fix all but one seal with it still in the car.  If you want give me a call.

Mike
262-886-8960 M-F 8-5

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:52:25 AM »
Rich: 

Thanks for the offer but this is a challenge for the wife and I, allows us time away. But if we can't find something soon, I may give you a shout.

Mike: From what I am being told it is the seal for the pump? Started leaking at the end of the summer last year. When the car has been run on the road for a while (hot) everything is fine. Once it sets for a day, it begins to leak again. I'll give you a call.

Dave