Author Topic: upper dash panel installation  (Read 3982 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
upper dash panel installation
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
I've posted this also under general discussion because I am not sure where it should be. Does anyone know how the upper dash (metal) is installed on a 67 Camaro? The reason I ask is on the passenger side inner door (hinge pillar?) just above the top hinge and below the front windshield, there is a bolt with 3 washer on it. I tighten it up as far as it would go and it just spins. Reason I ask is I have developed a "squeak" behind the glove box and was wondering if this bolt could be causing it. There is nothing on the drivers side like this. It "appears" this bolt and washers have something to do with the upper dash but I am not sure.

Thanks

dab67

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: upper dash panel installation
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
It's welded in. The bolt of which you speak is the fender bolt. Obviously it's stripped. There should be body shims and not washers behind the fender mounting flange and the jamb. Washers are what people use when they don't stock body shims. Cheap.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
Sauron327:

Thanks for the info. Now that makes sense. It could the cause of the squeak. I will remove it and see if I can get a different bolt, maybe longer.
Why doesn't the left side have this?

Thanks

dab67

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:19:12 AM »
It would be obvious if the fender bolt was missing on the left side. Above the top hinge there are no other bolts that secure to the jamb. Just the one that goes through the fender mounting tab and into the jamb. Shims go between it and the jamb if required for proper alignment.