Author Topic: gas cap  (Read 7169 times)

dig383

• View Profile
gas cap
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Hi Everyone
I just finished a frame off resto on my wife's 67RSSS.
After driving the car a few times I noticed the gas tank
is building pressure! The pressure is so great that the tank pops
when the gas cap is removed! I guess the exhaust heat is causing
the pressure to build. I have a new repop gas cap that allows air in but not out.
Is this normal, if so how does the tank vent?
Thanks fo any ideas.
dig383

fireZ

• View Profile
Re: gas cap
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »
Not sure but I think the vent is built into the gas cap.
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:43:48 AM »
Since were talking about gas caps,I have a 396\325hp with the vapor line,would that have any effect on the vented gas cap
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
Since were talking about gas caps,I have a 396\325hp with the vapor line,would that have any effect on the vented gas cap

Nope - they all used the same vented gas cap.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »
It's not vented at atmosphereic pressure. In fact, it takes quite a bit of pressure to "vent" the tank via the gas cap. The closer the tank is to empty the more you will notice the pressure when you remove the cap. Gasoline has fairly high vapor pressure so when you are running low it creates a lot of pressure in the tank especially when you have a hot day. When the tank is nearly full with liquid you won't notice it so much.

Years before this there was a vent pipe that just ran to the outside dumping all those vapors in to the atmosphere. Those cars did not use vented caps. My 69 uses a vented cap but it takes a few pounds to open it up. This was done to limit the amount of vapors escaping. Beginning in 1970 you start to see EEC systems (evaporative emission control) appear on all cars. That system does not use a vented cap or tank and forces all the vapors to a activated charcoal cannister for storage and then re-introduction in to the intake manifold.

Today, if your gas cap vents at all your "service engine soon" light comes on. A loose gas cap on a modern car will turn on the light. That's how far we have come in controlling evaporative emmisions.
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

dig383

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:42:50 AM »
Hi All
I found my answer to the gas cap vent problem.
I removed the valve from the old cap and installed it on the new cap cover.
Problem solved no more excess pressure in the tank.
The new replacement caps ( made in china ?) have a much stronger relief spring
than the original cap. Thanks for everyones input.
dig383

383man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
Actually the 69 Camaro should have a vented gas cap. Which means it should build no pressure in the gas tank anytime because its cap is always vented to atmosphere.  The newer caps that started around 1972 when they started using charcoal canisters is the pressure/vacum style cap.  It normally does not vent other then to the charcoal canister but the cap has a press and vacum release safety feature.  If the charcoal canister line got clogged or pinched and blocked off then the tank would not vent at all and the tank could swell some or shrink some when it cools down after it had been hot from a hot summer day.  So the gas cap on the sealed cars with the evap emissions systems have a vacum safety release and a press safety release in them. If the canister vent gets blocked and the car is sitting in the hot sun or driven some and sloshes the gas around it will build some press in the tank and when it gets to a certain point the cap will vent off the press by its press relief valve. And then if it sits all night after that when it cools down it will pull a vacum in the tank if the canister vent line got blocked and it could suck the tank in some but the cap also has the vacum release valve built in it.  So if the canister vent would get blocked the cap has safety press and vacum releif valve built in it which they will vent when the press or vacum gets close to being a safety problem.  The 69 Camaro gas cap should be vented all the time on a fuel system that it has which is before the evap emission systems with the charcoal canister came out.  Ron

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »
Which means it should build no pressure in the gas tank anytime because its cap is always vented to atmosphere.
Ron, You are misinterpreting what vented means - connected to outside atmosphere does not mean that it is at the same pressure.

Yes, the "vented" cap has a pressure/vacuum valve in it, and if the tank hasn't reached the threshold for the valve, it will "hiss" when you remove the cap to refuel.  :)

Kurt S
CRG