Author Topic: Quadrajet rebuild kit  (Read 6329 times)

mikefam

• View Profile
Quadrajet rebuild kit
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
I haven't rebuilt a quadrajet in twenty years and I need to get one working for my 68. Can anyone suggest where to get a quality rebuild kit? Autozone has a kit for $13 but I'm worried about the quality of the parts.

Mike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: Quadrajet rebuild kit
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
I would suggest comparing that one to the kit sold by NAPA.  Over the years, NAPA parts have typically held to a higher standard albeit at a higher cost.

c

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 06:39:10 PM »
Hey Chuck how ya doin? I'm the guy that you helped out with a convertible top motor a few years back. I'm back at the Camaro with some new sheet metal and a new paint job and just generally going through the whole thing again after many years of it mostly sitting. I just got it back from the body shop yesterday as a shell with a motor and am in the process of putting it back together.

I tried my local NAPA for the carb kit first because I'm on a first name basis with those guys but they couldn't get me a kit for a 7028212 Rochester carb. I just ordered a Hygrade kit that I found locally that should be in tomorrow. I've used Hygrade in the past with good results.

Mike.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
X 2 on the Hygrade. Used them for years with great results.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:47:14 PM »
It's good to hear that you're making progress.  Sometimes these projects take longer than we expect.

Guess it's been a while since I talked to NAPA about a carb kit!?!  That's what happens when you get into fuel injection, I suppose.

Keep in touch,

c

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
<Sometimes these projects take longer than we expect.>

The car hasn't been sitting all this time. I was driving it in primer up until last fall when I tore it apart and sent it out to the body shop. Now it's back with all new sheetmetal and a nice finish and I hope to have it back on the road before the snow flies again.

I'm rebuilding a quadrajet for the 327 engine that's in the car but I'm thinking about putting the numbers-matching 250CI six back in it in the long run. It was a pretty rare car with convertible top, deluxe interior and 250ci six and might be worth putting back to stock. I painted it the original maroon color (or very close to it) and have the repro parchment interior parts and with a new white top it'll be back to original specs except for the engine.

The six is on an engine stand and would be a relatively simple rebuild and swap. I just have a hard time thinking about driving a six cylinder car. I'm torn between originality and driveability and so far the 327 is winning.

Mike.

anything