Author Topic: Windshield replacement  (Read 4511 times)

j brian

• View Profile
Windshield replacement
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:34:03 PM »
I need to install a windshield in my 68 camaro rs resto. I was told i have to remove both fenders and cowl to do this. I find this hard to believe. Is this true?

hydromo

• View Profile
Re: Windshield replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
I need to replace mine too hopefully someone will answer you

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 03:36:57 PM »
No. You will have to remove the wipers and the trim around the glass. This is occasionally how you learn the leading edge of the dash is badly rusted-it comes out with the glass. That repair can require removing the cowl & fenders.

Sometimes the seal gets onto the pillar post trim so check that first-wouldn't want to damage them pulling the old glass out.
Learning more and more about less and less...

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:39:36 PM »
All I know... On my 69 coupe, only the cowl had to be removed, not the fenders... I would find it hard to believe that you would have to remove the fenders
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »
Took a huge rock from a Semi on the interstate in my windshield right in my line of sight, had it replaced by City Auto Glass with the proper date codes etc. and they didnt have to remove anything. Nothing should be in the way of a pro to replace the glass. The wipers are close to the bottom edge of the rubber edging of the glass but not in the way at all. The cowl shouldnt have to come off either.
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »
Took a huge rock from a Semi on the interstate in my windshield right in my line of sight, had it replaced by City Auto Glass with the proper date codes etc. and they didnt have to remove anything. Nothing should be in the way of a pro to replace the glass. The wipers are close to the bottom edge of the rubber edging of the glass but not in the way at all. The cowl shouldnt have to come off either.

How are you replacing a windshield without removing the lower moldings or the wipers? Even if you slid the moldings out of the retaining clips, which is wrong, the clips are in the way of the knife. So the cowl panel has to come off. I've done more than a few. But for what my glass shop charges it's not worth it anymore. Besides restos they have done hundreds of collision glass jobs for us in the past 20 years.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:27:56 PM by Sauron327 »

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »
And if you have someone do it make sure they paint the primer on the glass straight and minimally so it just covers the urethane bead they lay down. There are a lot of glass hacks out there. Both guys who've done our glass are on the same level and one knows the history and controversy about butyl vs urethane. John Z. has posted about it here often.