CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 03:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97147 Posts in 11687 Topics by 4578 Members
Latest Member: ronhill
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Originality
| | |-+  Spring loaded antenna
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spring loaded antenna  (Read 2997 times)
diggerdave

View Profile Email
« on: October 27, 2005, 03:09:16 PM »

HI all. Ive a question about antenna options in 69. My latest car is a 69 RS. It is unrestored, numbers matching and so far appears in original shape. It has the original radio (works!) The antenna is what im not sure of. The best way to describe it is it has a "spring" mounted near the base so that the antenna flexes. It is chrome (pitted). Was this a dealer option, aftermarket or factory??? Thanks  for any info.
Ed Bertrand
CRG Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:41:35 PM »

Dave,

You mean like this one? (This is the basic style, yours may vary a bit...)

That's an aftermarket item. Popular in the 60's and 70's, although the seller in the ebay auction states 50's as well. Not sure about that. I had one on a 64 Rambler American I owned while in college during the mid 70's. The idea was that the spring would keep people from breaking the mast off.

Ed
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:03:48 PM by Ed Bertrand » Logged

Ed Bertrand
CRG Member
diggerdave

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 08:08:40 AM »

Yep- thats it. Thanks for the info! dave
nuch_ss396

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 07:39:58 PM »

Dave,

You mean like this one? (This is the basic style, yours may vary a bit...)

That's an aftermarket item. Popular in the 60's and 70's, although the seller in the ebay auction states 50's as well. Not sure about that. I had one on a 64 Rambler American I owned while in college during the late 70's. The idea was that the spring would keep people from breaking the mast off.

Ed

Ed,

For your information, the one you linked on eBay is for big block Camaro's only......  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Steve

69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG
Pex68

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 10:11:23 AM »

Laughed my ass off when I read this post, not because of the original question but I had a similar antenna on my car when I got it and when I decided to replace it, I had to pull the fender partially off to get at it and noticed it was really dirty under there, so I pulled the whole fender to clean, then that made everything else look dirtier.  Next thing I knew it snowballed so bad I was pulling the engine and subframe and entire car apart!!!  Something I planned to fix in an afternon turned into a 3 year complete nut & bolt restoration...Guess you all know that story! Grin Grin Grin

Dave, if you haven't already, DO NOT REPLACE THAT ANTENNA!!!!

Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: