Author Topic: Spring loaded antenna  (Read 8949 times)

diggerdave

• View Profile
Spring loaded antenna
« on: October 27, 2005, 08:09:16 PM »
HI all. Ive a question about antenna options in 69. My latest car is a 69 RS. It is unrestored, numbers matching and so far appears in original shape. It has the original radio (works!) The antenna is what im not sure of. The best way to describe it is it has a "spring" mounted near the base so that the antenna flexes. It is chrome (pitted). Was this a dealer option, aftermarket or factory??? Thanks  for any info.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Spring loaded antenna
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:41:35 PM »
Dave,

You mean like this one? (This is the basic style, yours may vary a bit...)

That's an aftermarket item. Popular in the 60's and 70's, although the seller in the ebay auction states 50's as well. Not sure about that. I had one on a 64 Rambler American I owned while in college during the mid 70's. The idea was that the spring would keep people from breaking the mast off.

Ed
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:03:48 PM by Ed Bertrand »

diggerdave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 01:08:40 PM »
Yep- thats it. Thanks for the info! dave

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 12:39:58 AM »
Dave,

You mean like this one? (This is the basic style, yours may vary a bit...)

That's an aftermarket item. Popular in the 60's and 70's, although the seller in the ebay auction states 50's as well. Not sure about that. I had one on a 64 Rambler American I owned while in college during the late 70's. The idea was that the spring would keep people from breaking the mast off.

Ed

Ed,

For your information, the one you linked on eBay is for big block Camaro's only......  ::) ::) ::)

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 03:11:23 PM »
Laughed my ass off when I read this post, not because of the original question but I had a similar antenna on my car when I got it and when I decided to replace it, I had to pull the fender partially off to get at it and noticed it was really dirty under there, so I pulled the whole fender to clean, then that made everything else look dirtier.  Next thing I knew it snowballed so bad I was pulling the engine and subframe and entire car apart!!!  Something I planned to fix in an afternon turned into a 3 year complete nut & bolt restoration...Guess you all know that story! ;D ;D ;D

Dave, if you haven't already, DO NOT REPLACE THAT ANTENNA!!!!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

anything