Author Topic: 1967 Z28 questions  (Read 12382 times)

j-rho

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Z28 questions
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »
Haha, you guys are good.  :)  Don't forget, that allowance all carries with it a restriction-

Substitute parts which provide improvements in performance (e.g. superior gearing, lighter
weight, better camshaft profile, etc.) are not permitted under this allowance.

The hard thing about the no-longer-in-production thing, is it doesn't allow you to put better-performing stuff in.  For instance, I probably can't get OEM carpet and sound deadening pad, so I need to show whatever I have in there is no lighter than what was stock (if protested).

For engine components, it's even more complicated.  Things that are more "durable" or have increased ability to withstand racing/high revs, even if they're not lighter, can also be considered performance-enhancing.  An example might be replacing a cast component with something forged.  Though I think the 302 had all forged internals?  In any case, I am best off from a legality perspective if I can find OEM parts.

Normally protests don't happen at local events.  But every year I make the big trip from San Diego to the midwest (used to be Topeka, KS, now it's Lincoln, NE) to compete against the best in the country.  Everybody there has a lot of $ and time invested not just in their cars, but in the travel and general preparation.  It's there, people really look at each others' cars, and protests happen.

The other thing about the '67 - pretty sure it's the only year it could be had without a heater, and all the HVAC stuff is more weight savings.  We also have a funny rule in there (actually it's in Section 13 of the Rulebook, the Stock allowances, which the Street Touring category inherits) - any car before the 1968 model year, is allowed to replace its distributor.  At this point I'm not sure if the '67 302 used points or the transistorized ignition, but in any case, the ability to put in a modern distributor with tunable advance curves, should be an advantage.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »
Everything in a 302 was forged - crank, rods, pistons. Heater delete (RPO C48) was available in '67 and '68. 302's used conventional point ignition.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
Heater delete was only available in 67. It was included on 68 and 69 Hawaiian cars (if those count as US-spec).
Kurt S
CRG

barraza

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 11:03:18 PM »
Some of your questions don't make sense. No one actually knows what the factory carpet weighs, no one is going to protest things that there is no answer to.

The heater box only weighs about 10 lbs, so it shouldnt be your major decider. The cars came with enough gear options so that you will not have to worry about that issue.
The rule book is pretty clear that superseded parts are ok, so there is no reason to worry about things like specific part numbers. You will be fine if you have a few Z28 basics, like an intake manifold, and possibly some double hump heads, but there is no way to prove performance improvements or not from other parts. Bare with me purists, but at its core, a z28 is just an engine option. Especially given the legal modifications you can do to the suspension. Put a z28 intake on top of a 4' bore 302 engine, and back it up with a 4 speed muncie, and the rest for your purposes is just another restored camaro. Don't forget some emblems.

anything