Author Topic: Soda or media blast over rust?  (Read 3395 times)

another kurt s

• View Profile
Soda or media blast over rust?
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »
My 69 was media blasted 17 years ago, primed and left to weather in the Arizona desert.  The car has zero rust but is covered in a surface rust, everywhere inside and out.  I was going to try soda blasting but he said it will still have dark spots in the metal when finished.  I may have to media blast but was trying to avoid all the sand that blows out of every nook and cranny when painting.  Anyone have experience with soda?  will it clean the metal or leave rust deep down in the metal and will this come back to haunt me in the future?  The soda blast guy said seal it with por 15 after blasting and I will never have a problem.  Also what media is best to remove surface rust, the car has no paint or bondo on it and its a bare shell so I have easy access.  Would a power washer/media blaster combo work well?
1928 Model A Hot Rod
1936 Chevy 5 window Coupes
1955 Studebaker Pick up
1961 Corvette
1968 Camaro RS/SS 4 spd with air
1969 Camaro Z10
1974 Early Bronco

hydromo

• View Profile
Re: Soda or media blast over rust?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:04:39 AM »
try dry ice blasting I striped my whole car no sand no dust

BIGVIN

• View Profile
Re: Soda or media blast over rust?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »
We own a soda blaster made by stripco. it is very effective for the type of surface rust your refering to as long as the water injection nozzle is used. yes it will leave the rust areas "black" once finished. however it will not bleed  or ghost  after you applied a good etching primer. REMEMBER TO CLEAN THE ENTIRE CAR WITH WATER AND A TERRY CLOTH TOWEL FROM THE TOP TO THE BOTTOM AND DRY BEFORE APPLING PRIMER/ SEALERS 1

anything