Author Topic: header temps  (Read 2926 times)

hotz

• View Profile
header temps
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:28:38 AM »
Hey Guys,
I finally got my 69z28 crossram fired up today. It sounded great and really got the blood pumping. I do have one question. After about 10-20 minutes of running the car in the shop the headers got cherry red espically number 6,8 and 7. My friend thought that I might have a vaccum leak around the intake manifold that would make only certian cylinders to get hot but, I am not sure. I guess my question is how hot should the headers get once the car gets started and should some be hotter than others or once the motor gets broke in shold they cool dow? . I know that there is alot of heat after starting th car for the first time after rebuilding the motor but how hot. I do have a thermal temp device the read about 6-800 degrees is that about right? If that is to hot what do I do to fix the problem. I do have hooker headers and a chambers exhaust on the car. We also noticed a small exhaust leak next to cylinder 6 or 8 and it was to hot to tighten or replace the gasket but, that is on the schedule for the am. Thanks for the help
p.s could any body tell me how to post pics. I would like to show you all my car!
Brady

jonboy1216

• View Profile
Re: header temps
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »
could the cylinders be too lean?as far as temps i think anything under 900 degrees would be fine as header coatings are good to 1400

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: header temps
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »
Is your initial timing set correctly and are your centrifugal and vacuum advance systems working properly? 90% of first-fires have the timing retarded, which drives exhaust gas temps WAY up.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything