Author Topic: Oil line fitting  (Read 5150 times)

montgomg

• View Profile
Oil line fitting
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »
Needed to replace my mechanical oil pressure line and ran into the GM proprietary fittings.
Bought the nylon oil line with GM fittings from NPD as well as a new block fitting. No problem on the gauge end but the engine end is a different matter. My original GM fitting in the block is battered and will not seal. GM no longer has these block fittings. The block fitting from NPD is of the standard compression fitting type with a farrow.
What do folks do in this instance? I suppose one could simply cut the new nylon (plastic) line to remove the GM wedge shape swedge and brass insert and use the standard farrow type compression fitting. Or is there a source for the original GM block fittings? Thanks.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Oil line fitting
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:46:45 AM »

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
Well, respectfully I don't think so. I looked that item up before my initial post and I do believe that is the standard compression fitting with a farrow and is not compatible with the GM proprietary end and nut on the oil line kit provided by either HBC or NPD or Rics etc. I have one just like it from NPD. I am guessing I can simply cut the GM stuff off the end of my newly purchased oil line kit and use the standard compression fitting with farrow. The GM does appear to be a better connection though.

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »
The GM fitting is 40 degree  i have resharpened a drill bit  to reshape one . or try using a cone shaped rotary file  .

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
That should be 20 degrees not 40

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
Just to follow up. I borrowed a tapered hand reamer and was able to clean up (ie smooth) the inside seating surface well enough that the fitting is not leaking,
Sure seems that someone would be making these GM style block fittings though! Thanks for the suggestions. This site is very helpful.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »
<<Sure seems that someone would be making these GM style block fittings though! >>

Paragon makes those GM-proprietary male and female oil pressure line fittings and includes them with their '63-'67 Corvette oil line kits.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 12:13:09 AM »
Paragon makes fittings for the nylon (plastic) oil pressure lines such as is on the 69 Z28?

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »

anything