Author Topic: Mystery '67 Camaro Update - Title in hand!  (Read 16060 times)

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
Mystery '67 Camaro Update - Title in hand!
« on: April 21, 2006, 04:19:04 PM »
For those that lent advice and were interested in my ongoing tale...

Up to now:  My '67 Camaro is missing both the title and the VIN, and I am trying to get both taken care of...

Former owner located a box of parts with the correct cowl tag, so that's good news.

I have been on the phone with countless state agency people in Texas trying to get the title issue resolved.  I researched everything I would have to do to get a "bonded" title, have the state issue a new VIN, etc.  So I had a cop friend of mine run the VIN against their databases, and the car came back clean with the VIN I suspected it was, so I tried the state, and they claim there are no records in their current database, but that they could be held on microfiche in Beaumont.  I call Beaumont, get the runaround about being authorized to obtain said information without filling out all the required forms.  Download forms, start to fill them all out, when I figure that I should call Beaumont DOT back to see if there are any records on fiche at all before I go requesting them. 

I get a very nice lady on the phone who verifies that the VIN is indeed correct (124 versus 123) and gives me the information of the last registered owner.  Hot damn. 

I finally track down the last registered owner of the car, and get her on the phone.  Yes, she owned a Camaro, yes, this color combination, options, etc.  She gave the car to her ex-husband (now dead), who traded it to the guy I bought it from.  I tell her that she can save me a world of hassle if she would request a new title and sign it over to me; I'll get the previous owner to verify my story, show her the BOS, etc. etc. - I'll even pay the fee.

She says, "I don't know if I want to get involved."

Argh.  I leave her my phone number, she says she'll discuss with her current husband and call me back.  So far, nothing.  So I figure I'll give it one more shot.  She seemed like a nice lady, so I won't bother her by phone - I am thinking of sending her pictures of the car, the day we brought it home, my family, me, the progress we've made on it (new side cowl, lower cowl, upper dash panel), fill out all the required forms for her, enclose a SASE for me, and throw in $10 to cover the fees.  Maybe she'll change her mind and help me out.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:40:53 PM by Wazoo151 »

rsatz28

• View Profile
Re: Mystery '67 Camaro Update!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 04:28:07 PM »
Keep trying.  Maybe send her a gift card to a store or Chile's etc. 

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:32:57 PM »
Maybe she'll get the Title and come pick up her car.........ouch! :o

Buddy

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »
Sounds to me like you are doing the right things.
All the things that mean something to Camaro lovers probably mean nothing to her.  Who knows, that car may have been part of what split them up!
Politeness, pictures of your family, etc. will probably get you farther.  And I really like ratz28's idea!
Her present husband --even if he is a car lover-- still may not be much help.  So, make sure the gift card will cover a big steak for him, too.
You've come up against the one obstacle that is probably worst than any state's tangle of red tape: The feelings this lady probably has toward a now deceased ex-husband.
Hell hath no fury... :o :o :o
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 01:00:09 AM »
Excellent suggestions - I have some gift cards from Pappas restaurants here in Houston that I will throw in the package.  I'm hoping that the cards plus a $20 to cover all the DOT fees will be sufficient to sway her to my cause.  I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Robert

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 02:44:27 AM »
Ahh... IMO the gift cars thing is a little "cheesy"... just send pica and a little of the story and she should help you out. Dont forget to mention how much the car means to ya ... just my 2
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

rsatz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
Ahh... IMO the gift cars thing is a little "cheesy"... just send pica and a little of the story and she should help you out. Dont forget to mention how much the car means to ya ... just my 2

Remember, They may do it on their own time.  BTW, who says she should do it?

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 01:02:50 PM »
I'm stunned that you were given previous owners details over the phone!!!   :o
Yeah keep it simple, pleasant and with the least fuss possible for them.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

vr1967

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 09:53:07 PM »
Wazoo,
 Not sure if it will work where you live, but I bought a pickup a few years back, with basically the same problem. My insurance company bonded it, and filed for a title in my name with my bill of sale.  Cost me $75.
 This is in Mississippi, so I don't know if other states will do this.

Just a thought.
Virgil

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:06:08 PM »
Any news on this soap opera?

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »
Any news on this soap opera?

Funny you should mention it...

The previous registered owner ("The Camaro Lady"), called me two nights ago.  She apologized for taking so long to get back to me and thanked me for all the effort I had put into the packet I sent her.  She said that she had been sick and in and out of the hospital (!!), but that she had decided to help me.  She is going to have a friend look over what I sent (friend of her husband's) and if (s)he says it looks OK, will send me the title.  She even offered to refund the $20 I put in the packet to cover any costs she might incur, which I declined.  This leads me to believe that she may actually have the original title in-hand.

I was ecstatic, to say the least!  I really hope that she's doing better and her health is improving - all in all she sounded like a nice lady.

In the meantime, the car has gone out for some work.  She's getting a new upper dash panel, upper cowl, driver's cowl (the "D"-shaped panel with the "X"), floorboards, quarters, trunk, drops, inner and outer wheelwells, filler panel between the rear window and trunk, and taillight panel.  The shop also rebuilt the leading edge of the roof where it had rusted through.  I hadn't intended to do so much work right now, but this will put me way ahead of schedule (like I have a schedule!)

I am putting together a web page to chronicle the restoration.  I'll post a link when I get it running.

RCP

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 09:45:09 PM »
Man its so glad to hear that you have gotten ONE MORE STEP... keep us informed
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery '67 Camaro Update - Title in hand!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 01:48:54 PM »
I had just about given up on the prior title-holder getting me the title, as it had been eight weeks and I hadn't heard anything. 

However, yesterday in the mail, the title arrived.  Camaro Lady had followed through!  I now have the signed title and will be transferring it to my name asap.  Then, finally, I can get the repro VIN for the car - hallelujah!

The car's still not back from the body shop; there were a couple of projects ahead of me in line.  However, I have been accumulating parts, such as a back seat, rear armrests, ash trays, center console with gauges (woo hoo!), A/C control panel, window trim all around, and a 3970010 "high nickel" 350 block.  This week I am ordering a steering rack, Wilwood front brakes, booster and master cylinder, and Hotchkis suspension components.  Progress!

Thanks to all who have been so helpful and supportive as I get her legal...

RCP

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 08:15:32 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!  Most people in the end are decent and will do the right things.  And your patience and hard work paid off.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »
AMEN! Hot Damn and Congratulations!!
Richard Thomas
1969 RS