CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 05:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
107637 Posts in 12512 Topics by 4813 Members
Latest Member: fsc66
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  No carbon in exhaust port of 396.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: No carbon in exhaust port of 396.  (Read 1373 times)
SS396

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »

Bought a rebuilt 396 just recently but cant get it to run properly. There is no carbon in no. 8 cyl exhaust port whatsoever, clean as a whistle.Took rocker cover off to see if valves were opening and closing on that cylinder which they were so it has me stumped. I thought if the cyl wasnt firing you would still expect to see some residue or petrol in the port. Any ideas.
tmodel66

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:14:59 PM »

If it's not firing you won't see any on a new motor. Sounds like you have a dead plug. Did it flood before it  started?  Pull the plug and make sure it's firing and check the compression. Is it a solid or hydraulic lift.? If its hydraulic you might have a lifter bad or not primed.  PM me if you can't get it going

Daniel

Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP
SS396

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »

Thanks  tmodel66. Theres carbon in the header tubes except no. 8, thats how I noticed this problem. Cam is hydraulic. Swapped plugs around and they are all new but its still the same. It has new leads and rebuilt dizzy so I don't think it's electrical. Next thing will be to check lifter and compression.
Ed Bertrand
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »

A blown head gasket (or a cracked head) will do this. Water gets into the cylinder and "cleans" the carbon out. (Don't ask me how I know!) Are you loosing water from the radiator? Do a leakdown test and see what you come up with.

Ed
SS396

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »

Water level in radiator is pretty constant and doesn't overheat. Motor is supposed to have been rebuilt so I would not have thought this would be a problem in case I got a dud.
tmodel66

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »

Have you made sure the plug wire is fireing.  Put a plug in the  end of the wire and make sure it's fireing. If it is check the compression. You could have a warped push rod. Has the rocker stud pulled up out of the head any ? There is so many things you really have to go thru a step by step process.

Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: