Author Topic: front of car is too high  (Read 6444 times)

hotz

• View Profile
front of car is too high
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:58:23 AM »
Hello folks,
I am about done with the restoration of my car. I do have one problem that has just came up. I put new tires on my car 235 60 15 on the back and 225 70 15 on the front. When I lowered my ( blue) car back down the front of the car is much higher than the rear. I have another 69 z28 ( yellow) and measured from the ground up to the wheel well chrome and on my ( blue) car it is 28 inches and on the (yellow )car it is 24 inches off of the ground. 
  My question is what do I need to do to fix this problem. Are the springs in the front to tight and should I replace them? This car has not had a motor in it for a long time and I have thought maybe over time the front springs will break back in and go down but, not 4 inches. As far as I know the front clip is orig to the car. Or is it the back springs are worn out making the car sag in the rear? which is the orig rear end. It looks like my car is going up hill and I noticed it when I was restoring the car but I thought the weight of the motor would fix it but it has not. Thanks in advance for all of your help. Has anybody else have/had this problem and is there any car that should look this way?
Brady

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: front of car is too high
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
Have you rolled the blue car back and forth since you set it down, or has it been stationary since you installed the engine and front clip?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »
Did you R & R the springs and shocks? Did you replace with oem's or correct replacements? Car will settle down some after awhile.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »
235 60 rears should have 141 mm sidewall
225 70 front should have 157.5 mm sidewall

This could account for a small amount of your height difference. If these are new springs, they should settle a little with use. Did you replace all the bushings? Could they be binding a bit?

69 AIM has height measurements from ground based on tire size. UPC 0, A 10
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

hotz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:03:10 AM »
Hey guys,
I have not replaced the front clip or springs. They are the ones that were on the car when I bought it. I have replaced the front and rear shocks with correct replacements. i have not moved the car much just up and down on a lift.  I also have not replaced the rear springs they are orig to the car.

Pjbizjak, I am not sure what R and R the springs and shocks means? I am assuming it means something about replacing them with new rubber bushing or something but, could you clarify what you were asking to make sure I have done what is correct.

I have another set for 69 front springs do you think I should change front springs to see it makes a difference. I am also looking into different tires. Thanks again

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 06:07:38 AM »
r & r would be remove and replace
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »
i have not moved the car much just up and down on a lift.

The front end won't settle to normal ride height with the car on a 2-post lift until you roll it some to get the side load off the front tires.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
Brady,

Perhaps you already know this, but there were different springs used for different options on the vehicle. For example, the RS package was heavier and required a different set of coil springs. Have you removed anything front the front end that was present originally?

With regard to a fix, I experienced the same problem with new springs. The fix was to remove them and cut a link off. It still sits a bit high (about 3/4 of an inch). I will be removing and cutting some more off in the near future. unfortunately, the only way to know is to cut a little at a time and re-check.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

hotz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 01:30:17 AM »
thanks for all of help

anything