Author Topic: any pics of a Z intake restored. looking for as it came from the factory look  (Read 12359 times)

svtrich

• View Profile
should I get mine media tumbled or just lightly blast it? what did a new one from the factory look like.
                      Richard ;D

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
what did a new one from the factory look like.

Like this...

Paul

Dave69x33

• View Profile
This intake is from a friend's X77 '69Z undergoing a restoration.  He is the 2nd owner, and the car has been in the family since new.  The car is an untouched survivor with a 10D build date from Norwood, fully documented with low mileage. 

Notice how sloppy the engine overspray is on the intake.  It makes you wonder if they skipped using the masking box when they painted this engine.

svtrich

• View Profile
after seeing these manifolds.I wonder if I should lightly bead blast it and put a thin coat of clear on it
                      Rich

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
a low psi bead blast, followed with a fine steel wool rub will make it look nice, but don't clear it.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Send it to Jerry MacNeish - it'll look like this when you get it back. :-)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

CNorton

• View Profile
I'd second JohnZ's recommendation.  You could cosmetically ruin a relatively expensive part by experimenting with it.  You only get one chance to get it right and Jerry's re-skinning process turns out amazing results.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Don't clear it, the clear will turn yellow and look like crap...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Have Jerry reskin it
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Dave69x33

• View Profile
I worked in the aerospace industry and walnut shell media was used to blast aluminum and magnesium gearbox components. This soft media does a good job to give the alum or mag material a fresh look yet does not change the original texture of the surface.

GordonOne

• View Profile
As dave69 said, i too worked  aero-space all my life.....and walnut shells are what we used on everything from turbine blades to hyd. cyclinders etc. plus, we had a Vapor Degreaser, and nothing cleans like a vapor degreaser......miss MEK, and Tricholoethylene, Gordon

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
John,

Is that your car?  If so, what air cleaner do you use?  I bought a repro open element air cleaner.  It doesn't come close to fitting...

Chris B.

Send it to Jerry MacNeish - it'll look like this when you get it back. :-)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Don't clear it, the clear will turn yellow and look like crap...

I can vouch for this one. It's true.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
John,

Is that your car?  If so, what air cleaner do you use?  I bought a repro open element air cleaner.  It doesn't come close to fitting...

Chris B.

The stock air cleaner fits fine - some of the repros that are made to fit many applications don't accommodate the float adjusters on both ends of the 4053 carb. Are you sure the repro you have is for a Holley, and not for a Q-Jet?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Charley

• View Profile
Light media blast and the steel wool or scotchbrite pad with dishwashing liquid  works wonders.

LB68SS350

• View Profile
Jerry reskinned my 610 Z intake about 10 years ago, it's been on the car since '02, and still looks great. Definately recommended!     Larry

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
John,

Chris B.

The stock air cleaner fits fine - some of the repros that are made to fit many applications don't accommodate the float adjusters on both ends of the 4053 carb. Are you sure the repro you have is for a Holley, and not for a Q-Jet?

Kind of side tracking the thread.  Sorry.

It is CHQ PN: W-813  The description says:

"..... 67-69 Camaro 302, 396, 68-69 Nova 396, 66-69 Chevelle 396, 65-69 Fullsize Chevy 427, 65-72 Corvette.

Officially Licensed GM Restoration Parts.
GM Part #: 6423272, 6423907, 6422188

W-813 . . . . . A ir Cleaner Assembly, Base, Chrome Lid & Filter
GM Part #: 6422188"

It does have reliefs for the float adjustment screws and vacuum secondary pod.  Just not enough...  I didn't check the GM part numbers.  But since they list those applications in the description, I assume they mean the Holley 4053 and/or 4 barrels w/ vacuum secondaries.?.?  It is also the only open element air cleaner CHQ sells...  They do mention it not fitting carbs w/ electric chokes.  It's a divorced choke on the 4053.

Anyway, I was just trying to confirm that they didn't fit as advertised.  At TMC, members say that in most cases they use spacers and other modifications to make them fit.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that...

Thanks for the information!