Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

sway bar hardware plating

<< < (2/3) > >>

KevinK:

--- Quote from: Jerry@CHP on March 20, 2007, 10:38:31 PM ---1969s have an extra rubber insolator mounted on the sway bar with a metal strap to hold it in place, listed on page 201 of my 1969 Camaro book.

Jerry

--- End quote ---

OK, ...now my 'dumb' question, ...since I've always wondered about those (finger strap) things, ...What was their intended purpose? :)

1968RSZ28:
Kevin -

Per Jerry's book: "A new sway bar bracket went into production in February, 1969.  The new bracket had four "fingers" to better retain the bushing."

Paul

KevinK:
...isn't Jerry referring to those extra 'bushings' strapped to the sway bar, just inboard of the framerails?  (I don't have his book , ...but those are what I haven't a clue what they do).  
   As for the sway bar bracket (those that do bolt to the frame), ...yes, those metal pieces (Feb. '69) do appear to have 'fingers' on each side, ...that it does make sense they would help keep the rubber bushing in place.

JohnZ:
My untouched original 02D car, built on February 27th, has the "WB" bolts, but doesn't have the "fingers" on the ends of the bushing brackets; they must still have had mixed stock of the old and new brackets at that time.

Dave69x33:
Jerry@CHP,

You are probably correct on the long WB bolt finish.  AMK sells "WB" bolts with 5/16 - 18 threads x 6 - 1/2" long, in either phosphate or Zink (dark silver).  I took a stab that the bolts were phosphate.

Attached are pics of the rubber sleeve P/N-9786584, clamp P/N-9786588, and the "TR" 5/16-18 x 1-5/16" bolt.  Ref. page 53 in the 69 AIM.  My 69Z is a Norwood 05A car for  reference. 

The sleeves and clamps are the used originals (could not find NOS replacements).  The clamp is stamped with a "P".  The bolts on the clamps were "TR" but I can not confirm they are in deed the originals.  I need to see more survivors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page