Author Topic: Pace Car Door Decals  (Read 4613 times)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Pace Car Door Decals
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a GM part number for the 69 Camaro Pacecars?  I beleive the 67 pacecars had their door decals made by Cambell Ewald which was (and maybe still is) the advertising agency for the Indianapolis speedway back in the day.  They provided the decals to the local Zone office and/or the dealerships that were prepping the cars for the activities surrounding the race for installation.  If there are no GM part numbers for the 69 decals then the stories of them being provided in the trunks of all Z11 leaving the factory is False and only the cars that actually served as "official" vehicles of one form or another were ever equipped with decals, and they didn't come from the factory.  So I'm looking for anyone who might have stumbled across any mention of a 69 "indy pacecar" decal in service bulletins, parts manuals, anything.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pace Car Door Decals
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
Nobody?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Camaro Billy

• View Profile
    • 1969 RS/SS
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:33:54 PM »
Mark,
You should contact Andy Raines from this post at the Pace Car Site.

http://camaropacecars.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2590094833/m/510109324

When I first spoke to him about this car and urged him to post over there, he told me he has an original set new in a box that came in the trunk of the car.
He might be able to help you.
PM me if you need his e-mail.
Billy
1969 RS/SS 350/300 Rallye Green . Black Vinyl Top

Indy 69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 06:43:34 AM »
Mark,

I have never seen the #'s at all over the years. I did look through my GM parts and illustrations manual and I cannot find the #'s anywhere. I have a couple of versions and if they are there then they are hard to find, they are not in the sections where they should be from what I found.

You have a good lead from Camaro Billy.

Should you come up with #'s, I can ask my GM Lady to do a search and see if we can trace the history of them.

Ken  ;)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
If you have his email address could you please forward it to me, or connect him up with this thread, I can't get it of the pacecars site as I was banned for questioning the enamel paint scenario for the 03C O-1 cars.  I've run across half a dozen people who have a rolled up set of decals in a tube in the trunk, but to date they have all be repros that a previous owner bought somewhere.  Hopefully his will have some kind of marking identifying them as a GM product.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

1967l78conv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
Mark,

The part numbers for at least 67 were sent out to dealers at some point in a memo or bulletin, not at all sure on 1969. It listed the manufacturer and an ordering procedure with part number (I believe the manufacturer part number not a GM one). Somewhere in my piles of GM and dealer paperwork I have a copy but have as of yet not been able to lay hands on it again. If memory serves it was put out sometime after the end of the IPC order deadline for the replicas so dealers could order their own and add the decals later. They may have had a similar notice to dealers after the 69 run but if they did I have not seen one for that. I know it is not much help to you now but if I find it I will post it up for you, if nothing else it gives you a time range and area of docs to concentrate on. The numbers have never as far as I have seen been listed in any US or foreign parts book, assembly manual or supplement though that does not mean one did not go out.

Mike

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
I'm beginning to think they didn't exist at all for either year cars, at least within the GM parts world and the story about them being in the trunk is just another one of those old wives tales.  The ones put on at the race were the responsibility of the advertising agency and they were installed by the prepping dealerships.  Maybe the ad agency made up 2 or 300 sets for the racem  and either the Zone office got them or the dealerships that prepped the cars got all of them that were left over.  There was really no need for them after the race, as they were removed from most of the cars pretty quickly for resale.  But if they do exist as a GM part there has to be some record of them, they should even show up on the shipping documents for the 69's as actually being verified as being in the trunk prior to shipping.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11