Author Topic: 68 Z28 with factory supplied headers ?  (Read 5742 times)

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
68 Z28 with factory supplied headers ?
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
  I have a question about 68 Z/28's with the factory headers. As I understand the headers were supplied in the trunk of the car and shipped to the dealer for either the new owner or dealer to install. When the dealer installed the headers did they remove the smog system? Or did the factory supplied headers come with provisions for the smog system?
Thanks

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 Z28 with factory supplied headers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 01:12:31 AM »
In most cases, the dealer would not install headers or cowl plenum air cleaner.  Most dealerships would void the car warrantee if installed.  There is no definitive answer.  If you had an on-going relationship with a dealer, a very small few would install these parts but very few Z28's were sold with headers and cowl plenum.......period.  The original owner of my white '68 Z28 ordered both options and Reedman would not install the parts, and they were, and still are, a very well known large dealership in the Philadelphia area.

Happy New Year,

Jerry

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:40:36 AM »
 Jerry, Happy New Year to you also !
And thanks! The car 68 Z I just bought is drive train complete except for no engine. I want to restore it back to as close to orginal as I can. Does anyone know if the factory supplied headers are repoduced? I have always heard that headers do a lot for waking up a 302 and would like to go that route if possiable.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »
Yes, Larry Christensen, 303-278-8536,

Jerry

detfox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:28:17 PM »
After reading plenty of threads regarding headers, I was wondering which headers would be best for that “second day” appearance on a 69 Z28 (no PS). In other words, what finish of headers would be best to keep it period correct? I’ve seen some headers that had more of a natural coating and had fittings for the smog pump.  Granted, stock manifolds would be best, but at this point I’m keeping headers.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
Headers with AIR fittings do not sound like day 2 mods to me but Day 2 is rather up to the owner. Burned off flat black paint with plenty of rust is what they usualy looked like :)

The more "period correct" stuff you have the better in my opinion when you go for Day 2. I run some Cragars once in a while but keep the stock manifolds, chambered exhaust and smog system (because I have it). A complete stock engine looks cool to me with the hood open. I have tried a set of Hooker Super Comps for a time but they did not add much for my combo so I swapped back to stock. The factory style chambered exhaust is holding me back so headers are more trouble than they are worth in my case. My car was originally equipped with chambered exhaust so it has to stay that way as far as I am concerned. It is definately a conversation piece.

Good luck what ever you decide to run.

-Mark.

detfox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:46:36 AM »
Headers with AIR fittings do not sound like day 2 mods to me but Day 2 is rather up to the owner. Burned off flat black paint with plenty of rust is what they usualy looked like :)

The more "period correct" stuff you have the better in my opinion when you go for Day 2. I run some Cragars once in a while but keep the stock manifolds, chambered exhaust and smog system (because I have it). A complete stock engine looks cool to me with the hood open. I have tried a set of Hooker Super Comps for a time but they did not add much for my combo so I swapped back to stock. The factory style chambered exhaust is holding me back so headers are more trouble than they are worth in my case. My car was originally equipped with chambered exhaust so it has to stay that way as far as I am concerned. It is definately a conversation piece.

Good luck what ever you decide to run.

-Mark.

I agree original is best. Everthing on my car except the headers and exhaust are period correct.  Since I already run headers I'm going to saty with it, however the old Hookers are leaking so I need a new set.  So, I figured I'd go with something that looks similar like what was available like the 68 factory headers.