Author Topic: need Chevy BB high perf oil pump- used or new  (Read 3860 times)

rally

• View Profile
need Chevy BB high perf oil pump- used or new
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:36:53 AM »
Anybody have this oil pump laying around, used, new. possibly with the screen for deep sump oil pan. the oil pump number is 3946023, this pump fit the 6 quart over the counter heavy duty parts list oil pan number 3879633. Again this pump has the number cast in the bottom plate of the pump bottom cover. oil pump 3946023.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: need Chevy BB high perf oil pump- used or new
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 04:03:56 PM »
The 3946023 oil pump was discontinued from GM Service stocks many years ago. The same pump is available from Melling, Federal-Mogul, Clevite, Sealed Power, and others using that number as a cross-reference.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »
John thanks for the info. I am still hoping someone has one on the shelf thats been used or new and wants to sell it. I saw one on ebay a few weeks back but the pump was long gone, sold.  I understand they dont make them. My other plan is i purchased a oil pump #3969870 , a GM pump used on the ZL-1 Motor from Summit Racing. This pump has the same gears, 1.3 as the pump as i was looking for so i would be all set. Checked with Dennis Tracy, Tracy Perf, he couldnt find one in his inventory either. I know this is a hard pump to find.

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
The GM HiPerf has 1.3" tall gears as you know, and the Melling/Sealed Power etc have 1.39" gears.
Are you concerned about the height difference, or the correct number?
Mill the pump and gears 0.090" if you're worroed about height. The higher volume pumps do make a small pressure increase below the bypass pressure but a 0.090" difference will go un-noticed.
The differing gear/body heights of the pumps don't effect the pick-up height.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
No not concerned about the height of the gears. I just want an original  oil pump that matched the 6 quart deep sump factory hi po pan. IF i cant find this pump i need, i do have an 3969870 ZL-1 oil pump. It has the 1.3 high gears, will work. Again its an originality thing with me, that oil pump i like to get would complete the  package. Milling gears is way to much unwanted work that isnt needed. Again just looking for the correct number pump 3946023 GM made back then.

anything