Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Restoration

re-stamping a block

<< < (2/4) > >>

Gambitt:
I don't see it as a big deal, as long as there isn't fake paperwork made to make it look legit.  Most anyone can tell when a block has been decked, even with broach marks.  Anyone wishing to shell out big bucks for a first gen needs to be very careful these days.  Personally, if I had the car, it would make me feel better just seeing the correct stamping on the block.

I know, you get into the big argument of, "If you do something like that and sell it, it will end up being represented as something it isn't at some point in time."  Yes, that might be true, but all you can do is be honest about it and hope that others are too...you can't keep the whole world honest:)

RickH:
Not sure how to phrase this but since I have been in this hobby those who restamp are not into it just to make their car "look" correct. And I don't care what anyone says, eventually that car with a restamp will find it's way into the true numbers matching, correct, born with or what ever you want to call it motor and car is 100% original.

Just because the Corvette community does it does't set a standard. Well maybe it does in a more negative way. That's just my opinion.

I watched a lot of Barrett Jackson and every, I mean every Corvette that came across the block was numbers matching. Not one time did I hear the announcer say it wasn't the original motor. I heard a lot of replacement motors in other makes but not in the Corvette.

To answse your question. No I would not restamp and I would not buy a restamp either. That is if I knew it was and was very obvious. That's my take.

To each his own and if that is what you want to do, go for it.

Rick H.

JohnZ:

--- Quote from: Flowjoe on April 18, 2006, 12:48:31 AM ---As we understand it, the NCRS says this is OK and will not penalize the car.
--- End quote ---

Just to clarify - in NCRS Flight Judging, the key is whether any part "appears" as if it could be original, not whether it IS original (there's another separate judging category for untouched absolutely original cars where only originality is judged, with no consideration for Condition - that's "Star/Bowtie" judging).

Stamp pads are judged on their own merit, and with the library of over 8,000 macro photographs of Corvette engine pads to compare against, what's "typical", what's a known factory anomaly, and what's NOT "typical" are easily detected these days. A pad either appears to be typical of factory production or it doesn't; if it doesn't, it gets the appropriate deduction. Most of the points for the block are allocated to the casting number and casting date, not to the pad; the block is allocated 350 points (out of 4500 for the whole car), and only 88 of those points relate to the pad (25 for the engine plant stamp, 25 for the VIN derivative, and 38 for the pad surface).

Gambitt:
I admire the Corvette guys for at least admitting they restamp parts...the Camaro crowd looks down their nose at this, even though it takes place all the time.  It's funny that everyone is against it when it's a Camaro, but it is hard to find a car on ebay that doesn't have at least one restamped part on it.  If you are going to get that picky you shouldn't use any repo parts either, which is totally unrealistic for most people. 

lcmc:
Personally I think restamping a VIN on a block should be illegal. To me it's no different than changing the VIN on a car! I say throw all the owners of shops that restamp in jail!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page