Author Topic: 69 RS CAMARO  (Read 11402 times)

VBOP328

• View Profile
69 RS CAMARO
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:03:27 PM »
I'M LOKING FOR AN RS 1969 CAMARO  BECAUSE I LOVE THE HIDAWAY HEADLIGHTS. THE ONES I FIND THAT I LIKE ARE SS OR REG CAMAROS NOT RS. IF I WAS TO BUY AN SS OR REG CAMARO AND WANTED TO ADD THE RS HIDEAWAY HEAD LIGHTS WHAT WOULD THAT ENTAIL AND HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK THE CONVERSION WOULD COST.ALSO WHERE INTHE VIN CAN YOU SEE  WHICH MODEL A 69 CAMARO IS. WHAT'S A BALLPARK PRICE FOR A 396 MOTOR NOT A REBUILD A COMPLETE READY TO DROP IN.THANKS VINNIE

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 RS CAMARO
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:22:53 PM »
ALSO WHERE INTHE VIN CAN YOU SEE  WHICH MODEL A 69 CAMARO IS.

The VIN only tells you whether it's a couipe or convertible, six or V-8, and which plant built it; there's nothing in the VIN that will identify it as an SS, RS, Z/28, etc. See this:

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#VIN

Also, turn off your "caps lock" key - all caps makes your post difficult to read, and all caps means you're shouting.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

VBOP328

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:24:27 AM »
thanks alot john.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »
Retrofit kits are available from several vendors. I don't know if they are all from the same maker or not.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=6336.0
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

VBOP328

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
thanks tom

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:51:55 AM »
If done correctly, the differences between a 1969 RS and a non-RS car are many.  I have an original 69 RS so I do not have any experience with the conversion kits, but the RS variations from the  "standard body" for 1969 include the following and your conversion kit should address all of these issues:

Different outer fenders, different inner fenders, different grille and trim, different grille, fender, and tail panel emblems, hideaway headlights assembly including articulating mechanism to connect them to the vacuum canisters, inner and outer headlight door covers, vacuum cannisters, mounting brackets for the vacuum cannisters, vacuum reservoir, relay valve and the associated vacuum lines, different headlight switch with vacuum hose connections, different windshield wiper switch (2 dentent positions, first detent routes water to the windshield washer nozzles, second detent routes water to the headlight washer nozzles which spray water on the headlights), headlight washer nozzles, diverter valve on the windshield washer pump, water tubing from the diverter valve to the headlight washers, mounting in the front header panel to accomodate the headlight washers, diferent bracket/location for the windshield washer bottle, and the other items in the Style Trim RPO that are a part of RPO Z22, the RS package.

Richard Thomas
1969 RS

VBOP328

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
thanks for all the insight rich..

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Hey Rich, Did all RS 69s come with headlight washers?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
If you know what you are doing you can indetectably add RS to a standard Camaro. Seen it done many times.
Learning more and more about less and less...

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
The 1969 RS package included the headlight washers all the time.  The headlight washers were also a stand alone option on Non-RS 69 Camaros too. It appears that very very few of those were sold. There is a classic car dealer in north Chicago suburbs, who to this day is adamant that some sort of whiskers were also part of that package but nobody will ever change his mind, he is wrong.
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
Rick,s sells a kit that works. However there are some parts not included such as the headlight washer part that goes on the windsheild wiper motor. Repop fenders are set up for the headlight parts or you could make them. There is also a company that does the conversion in Charlotte NC paint and all. At any rate if you have a non stock cam such as I have you may not have enough vacuum to work them. Even if you have the vacuum they are finicky and hard to keep in good operation.With all said the ralley sport is a really pretty option.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition