Author Topic: Older post on O rods  (Read 2727 times)

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Older post on O rods
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »
I was just reading the lengthy post on the O rods and was curious about the X rods that I have seen. Are they any good. Any info on these? I just put a set of these in my 302. Should I replace?

Here is the post.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1824.0

Thanks.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

ChrisM

• View Profile
Re: Older post on O rods
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:01:42 AM »
Reading your link and post #21 BY Jerry@CHP it appears they are just as good as long as you shot peen, mag, and use good ARP bolts.  My car does not have pink rods, bnut we did the above plus polished them.  Good luck. - cm

Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

Re: 69 z28 rods
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 06:43:30 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not idea about what notch you are talking about??  Only thing on the end cap is a machined boss area that is used to machine or grind down when you balance the engine.

And basically, all of the large journal rods are the same.  Once you shot peen, mag and install good ARP rod bolts, you have a pink rod.  One of my race engines does not have pink rods and it has several hundred runs on it. 

JM

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Older post on O rods
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:05:55 PM »
The circle track guys are not having issues with stock rods when checked and prepped with better bolts so a well prepped set of stock rods with upgraded bolts is not a weak point. The only issue is the availabillty of a good shop to do the work and the cost. By the time you find a good shop, check your cores, maybe polish the beams, re-bolt, weight match, and resize, you are probably darn close to the cost of a set of Eagle SIR rods that already have the better bolts and are ready to install right out of the box. I have a set of Eagles in my 302 and the rods are definately not on my list of things to worry about. Cost was something like $225 if you know where to shop and they are made well.

Just another way to get the job done.

-Mark.