Author Topic: Did my 69 Z have manual or power steering???  (Read 5923 times)

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Did my 69 Z have manual or power steering???
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:59:19 AM »
I was just reading the info about the manual and power steering on the 69 Camaro and since I am not the original owner of my 69 Z28 and there are no documents (so far anyway) to check against and my car does have power steering, I was wondering what size the drag links are so I can verify. I don't have a caliper to check diameter, so I was just going to use the adjustable wrench method with my machinest ruler. Does anyone have this info?

Also what would I need to find if I had the RPO N44? Good to know I suppose to find out if I have that RPO or not.

Gary

GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Did my 69 Z have manual or power steering???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »
This can get a bit confusing.

"Fast-ratio" manual steering was standard equipment on 1st gen Z/28s; optional on others under N44. It was acomplished by linkage changes, the steering gear was the standard production unit. Manual steer cars used the standard center link. There was a faster manual gear, do not know if it could somehow be ordered on a Z/28. N44 ordering info states it is included on Z/28. The faster ratio gear was so stiff even racers complained about it.

Power steering is a bit different. All PS '69s had the same new variable-ratio gear w/thicker center link. Z/28 and Camaro SS with PS also had the faster ratio linkage. Z/28 and L78 Camaro SS built with PS will have the deep-groove pulley #3941105.
Learning more and more about less and less...

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:25:22 PM »
Yes that is what I understand. So what I need to find out is "What size are the drag links" I haven't seen a size number anywhere to check mine against anything.

Gary
GaryC

68Zproject

• View Profile
68Z28

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »
http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension.htm

Ok. Great information. Is it safe to say the drag link size is the determining factor on whether or not you had power steering or manual steering? I would like to find out if my car was an original M.S. or P.S. car so I'll know what to say when someone asks me questions about the car.

I'm thinking it was M.S. based on the equipment that was installed on the car when I bought it. (67 P.S. box and pump, 68 Z28 mounting brackets) I did get all the correct mounting brackets for 69. The  P.S. pump I bought LOOKS like what is on most Camaros in pics I have looked at, but I understand there is a difference between the BB and the SB. Can I assume the pump by it self was the same for all models? Are they dated? The P.S. box is out of an 80 WS Trans AM. I like the way the car steers but it is really really jerky and took a while to get used to it.

I like both manual and power steering on these cars. If it is originally a M.S. car I think I'll find a manual box and put it away for the next owner.

Thanks,
G  
GaryC

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 03:16:01 AM »
What are the casting numbers on the steering arms? I don't know about 69 but in 68 they were different between manual and ps. I have the same problem with my car, someone added ps.

Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

anything