Author Topic: 1967 SSRS Factory Sunroof Car  (Read 9574 times)

Miller1967SSRS

• View Profile
1967 SSRS Factory Sunroof Car
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to the forums and looked around the website for info on factory sunroof cars.  I found some info on cars, but none that fit the car I have a question about.

Basically my Dad has what we believe to be the only 1967 US built sunroof car.

It is a 1967 SS RS 350 4-speed car. It was built in Norwood, and was originally a GM show car.  Which GM had a sunroof put in.  The sunroof install looks factory with matching vinyl top and drip tubes running down the pillars to the wheel wells.  It has power windows and sunroof.

My Dad traced the car back to the original owner (where the story came from) in the early 90's, and apparently he worked for GM  and after the show car circuit was completed he bought the car.  Apparently it was originally black with flames for the show circuit.

I am hoping that we will able to find some documentation on the car verifying its authenticity, or any other info.

I am sure there will be some more questions, and I will post some pictures and additional details about the car shortly.

Thanks for the help, and maybe this is another piece of Camaro history someone has been looking for.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 SSRS Factory Sunroof Car
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:27:29 AM »
Sun/moon roofs have been popular abroad for years. It may be that your car was converted using parts from a GM car built elsewhere. Whatever, it was it was not done on the line and wasn't optional.

I believe Super Chevy did a feature many years ago on a '67 SS 350 brought back from Europe in the '80s that also had a power slider. Not unusual in exported cars.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:38:01 AM »
Read this from the advanced search option.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4060.0
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

nwsgjr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:32 AM »
Yes i have seen a 67 with a sunroof 15 years or so ago i was considering buying it.It had a factory sunroof also was listed on the build sheet...for what its worth...it was a yellow car...

Miller1967SSRS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:40:27 AM »
The car is black now and was repainted in the late 80's. Not sure if it still had the original paint before that or not.  There are no odd identification tags referencing other assembly plants and the vehicle does have a standard US VIN.  I looked through my pictures but don't have any on this computer.  I will post some pictures of the car when I get a chance along with some detailed shots of the sun roof. 

Miller1967SSRS

• View Profile
Re: 1967 SSRS Factory Sunroof Car: Pics Added
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 02:37:37 AM »
Here are some pictures of the car and shots of the sunroof.
Unfortunately we do not have the RPO or protect-o-plate.
The car has a 69 cowl hood on it which I know is not correct, but we have an original SS/RS hood that just needs to be painted.

If anyone would like to see any other pictures of the car feel free to ask.
There are a few more here

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/MillerSV650/

The switch for the sunroof is above the parking brake release and below the headlight switch.

This is the drain in the rear wheel well that goes up to the sunroof.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »
Interesting. Someone did a nice job with the install.
It definitely was not installed by the factory. It possible on a show car, but normally they were showcasing factory options on show cars, not options that were not available.
Also, I don't recall ever seeing a 67-vintage GM show car with flames.
Kurt S
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:25:44 PM »
I had hundreds of show cars and "GM Building Lobby Jobs" come down my lines over the years, and about all we did in the plant was to install 110-volt wiring in the roof before installing the headliner. GM Show & Display used that wiring later during their prep process to install a round fluorescent light where the dome light would normally be to illuminate the interior while the car was on a turntable or on display. Other than "show paint", the plant did nothing else "special" to show cars - that stuff was all done later by Show & Display and their contractors.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

PANTHER-BUFF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »
Looks the part!  -  Nice lookin' Camaro!
Danny

anything