Author Topic: engine build date vs. car build date  (Read 7509 times)

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
engine build date vs. car build date
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
I was looking at the date's on my car and it's engine part's and notice that the date's are REAL CLOSE !

my engine is dated V1028me which is october 28th 1966 I looked it up and that is on friday

the build date on the car is 10E 5th week of october 1966 last day in october was monday the 31st

they must have been spitting them out as fast as they could make them for those number's to be that close

what is the normall documented time for a engine date vs car build date ?
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: engine build date vs. car build date
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
I was looking at the date's on my car and it's engine part's and notice that the date's are REAL CLOSE !

my engine is dated V1028me which is october 28th 1966 I looked it up and that is on friday

the build date on the car is 10E 5th week of october 1966 last day in october was monday the 31st

they must have been spitting them out as fast as they could make them for those number's to be that close

what is the normall documented time for a engine date vs car build date ?

You have to remember that the cowl tag build date is the week that the body started from raw stampings in the Body Shop, not the day it came off the end of the line at Chevrolet. If the body started the last day of the week shown on the cowl tag, it wouldn't have come off the line as a completed car on the Chevrolet side of the plant until three days into the following week.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

another kurt s

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:12:42 AM »
my Z10 has a 05A build date and the block is L28 8 which I assume is December 28th 1968 which seems weird.  Intake and heads are march if I remember right.  Why would they make the block that far ahead of assembly?  I found the vin by the oil filter, tough to read but it matches.
1928 Model A Hot Rod
1936 Chevy 5 window Coupes
1955 Studebaker Pick up
1961 Corvette
1968 Camaro RS/SS 4 spd with air
1969 Camaro Z10
1974 Early Bronco

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
my Z10 has a 05A build date and the block is L28 8 which I assume is December 28th 1968 which seems weird.  Intake and heads are march if I remember right.  Why would they make the block that far ahead of assembly?  I found the vin by the oil filter, tough to read but it matches.

Although not the "norm", it wasn't unusual for a block to sit off in a corner or to be pulled aside for a repair and not get back into the normal production stream for weeks or months; nobody paid any attention to casting dates - all they cared about was the block casting number.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
What John didn't say is that's just the casting date. The block could sit unmachined for a while. The engine assembly date is normally closer to the vehicle build date.
Kurt S
CRG

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:08:55 PM »
What is the engine assembly date? stamping pad in front of right side head

another kurt s

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »
The motor was rebuilt in 1994 and was still in the plastic wrapper when I bought the car.  They decked the motor so I have no idea when it was assembled.  I found the vin by the oil filter.  I tried some muratic acid on the pad and it looks like it could be raised but I did not want to mess it up, they had no idea what they were working on back then, they even stamped their company initials and rebuild date on the heads and block.  I know they fake numbers on the pad, anyone do it on the rough area by the oil filter?  I am sure this is the original motor, just curious.  Anyone in the phoenix area that knows how to raise numbers are welcome to look this over.
1928 Model A Hot Rod
1936 Chevy 5 window Coupes
1955 Studebaker Pick up
1961 Corvette
1968 Camaro RS/SS 4 spd with air
1969 Camaro Z10
1974 Early Bronco