Author Topic: small block vs. big block motor mount towers  (Read 5399 times)

67SS396

• View Profile
small block vs. big block motor mount towers
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but have never had a big block car before.
Have a 67 Camaro SS 396 car (all indications are it was a true 396 from the factory car)
The car came with a small block as the story said the big block was toasted years ago.

Are big block motor mount towers always different from small block motor mount towers?

The car is at the body shop now and a 402 big block is at the shop right now getting done and I was wondering if we need to ordeer big block motor mount towers OR if there is a chance the ones currently installed will work.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.
FYI, its my wifes car we have had 6 years now and she is all over me to get it back on the road.
Completely dissassembled the car and put it on a rottisserie where it sat for 5 years.
Bottom of car got POR-15 and their chassis coat black.
Subframe has been blasted and powder coated.
Car is getting new quarter skins, door skins and fenders.
They were not in terrible shape but just enough that new steel made more sense.
Car will go back to Marina Blue
Turbo 400 tranny
3.73 rear end.
She tore down all the seats and wire brushed the seat frames and re-painted them even. The seats with new cushions and coverings should be back to us this week.
If all goes well, motor and car come back to us early to mid may then we start slamming it back together.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: small block vs. big block motor mount towers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 04:37:29 PM »
Are big block motor mount towers always different from small block motor mount towers?

The car is at the body shop now and a 402 big block is at the shop right now getting done and I was wondering if we need to ordeer big block motor mount towers OR if there is a chance the ones currently installed will work.

Yup, big-block towers are different - they move the engine over about an inch to the right of car centerline for clearance to the steering gear.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything