Author Topic: Rear deck spoiler holes  (Read 3110 times)

Boston14

• View Profile
Rear deck spoiler holes
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
I have a question about the spoiler mounting holes in the rear deck of a 1969 Camaro. I bought my 1969 Convert. SS/RS 350 auto car from the original owner in 1977( I know this because I remember when he got it as a high school graduation present). I drove it about a year and then put it in the garage where it has sit for 32 years. I am finally in the process of restoring it after all these years. I have been researching the car and all of its components on this site as well as in books and other sites. It has a Fisher body date of 11D and the VIN dates it around Dec. 2-5. Now for the question........ Through my research, I have found that the original owner must have added the spoilers to the car or at least replaced the rear one  because it has the wider late model rear spoiler. Are the mounting holes the same for the early and late spoilers? This would make it much simpler to put the correct spoiler on the car. Thanks.

boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear deck spoiler holes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »
The 68 and 69 spoilers mount the same. The 68 was used for 69 production until about mid-January 69. For a short time [early March?] either could have been used.

If one of the trunk lid torsion arms [mounted on the hinges] is thicker the car was built with spoilers and should also have a front spoiler. If they are the same it was not built with spoilers.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Boston14

• View Profile
Re: Rear deck spoiler holes
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »
William,
   I just went out to the garage and checked the torsion rods for the trunk lid. The one with the foam-rubber sleeve on it is a larger diameter than the uncovered rod. The car does have a front spoiler also. I am not sure why he changed it, maybe he just liked the look of the late spoiler. Thanks for the help.
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

anything