Author Topic: Need reproduction VIN  (Read 10119 times)

Racerdan

• View Profile
Need reproduction VIN
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »
I am i n the process of replacing the top metal dash on our 69 Vintage Race Car.  The one in the car is damaged, and cut away where the vin orginally was (probably from previous impact, as windshield frame area is damaged there, too).

I have the title, and the vin on the cowl does match the title.  The trim tag also matches up with the build date of that vin, so i am 100% confidant that the title is for the car. 

Is there a company that will make a replacement VIN if we have the proper documentation?  Contact numbers?  Approximate cost?  I need the rivits, too.

Fell free to email me directly at Dan73Vette@AOL.com if you prefer.

Thanks,

Racer Dan 

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need reproduction VIN
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »
There are people who make them (I don't know who, just that they are out there), only problem is its illegal for them to be made, and beleive it or not, its illegal for you to affix it to your car even if your "100% sure" its the right VIN number.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:03:37 AM »
  Most states with docs. and matching hidden VIN's will assign a new VIN number to a car missing a VIN. It is not the factory type VIN that mounts on the dash, but it will keep everything legal. Usually it is a metal tag or plastic sticker that mounts on the door jam.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
How bad is the vin damaged? If it is just bent, straighten and re-install.  Most states allow vin R&R for "normal" sheet metal repairs.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
Last January at B-J there were at least 3 cars in the main tent disclosed as re-bodied. This of course means VIN tags and who knows what else was removed and messed with. The ZL-1 also had a repro body tag. The cars sold for good money, no one was arrested.

Learning more and more about less and less...

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
He has the correct title all the vin #s match up. He is the owner. Go to trim tags.com and get them to make you one and move on. I would do the same thing. That vin tag is much better than having the motor vehicle or the auto theft unit stick one of theirs on your car where it doesn't belong. Nobody is going to question the new vin tag when its on the car.

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:25:45 PM »
if this happen's 1967 1968 and 1969 camaros will be even harder to trust as REAL this will be a direct way of changing a six cylinder 12337 car into a V8 12437 car as the hidden vin only has the LXXXXXX or NXXXXXX I don't guess it matter's because as of right now they refake everything but the vinplate I guess that's the final puzzle part ,,
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:04:04 PM »
Good point, but that is why documentation is so important if you are sellign a real car, especially a rare one.  I have been in the Corvette world for years, and they have a lot of phonies, too. 

The buyer needs to make sure he is well educated, and if buying a rare car for premium mone,y he has to have an expert look at it. 

In my case, plum L78 is right, I have the documents, and own the car, have the vin on the cowl, the rest is documented with papers and photos, orginal parts, etc. 

If I was faking a 6 cyl car to a V8, my title would obviously expose that.  I can't get it faked, the State has it on file!

But in my case, the value of the car will be in the finished product and its log books proving its race history, not in the original product since the restoration is to its race condition.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!!!

Racer Dan   

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
Last January at B-J there were at least 3 cars in the main tent disclosed as re-bodied. This of course means VIN tags and who knows what else was removed and messed with. The ZL-1 also had a repro body tag. The cars sold for good money, no one was arrested.

Where are these people, I got some snow banks I can sell them.
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:26:08 AM »
Does anyone have the saddle the VIN sits in on a 69?  I understand the vin is a plate, and the saddle or holder holds the VIN plate tight against the dash.  This saddle has two holes in it for the rivets. 

I think it is the same with Chevelles and others, but not sure.  If you have one, please email me at Dan73Vette@AOL with the cost.  It does not have to be perfect.... 

Thanks!