Author Topic: Oddball radiator fan shroud!  (Read 15330 times)

snowballfisher

• View Profile
Oddball radiator fan shroud!
« on: October 27, 2005, 01:34:39 AM »
I have an odd situation.  I'm working on a 1968 RS/SS 396 car for someone and after doing my homework, I've found out that they had the radiator replaced with a "direct fit replacement radiator."  This is not the same exact radiator that the car came with.  It's been overheating slightly and I told them that it needed a fan shroud that was missing.  So we spent $80 on an OER fan shroud, just to figure out that it didn't fit with this replacement radiator.  Anyone have any ideas?  I really don't want to use one of those cheesy aftermarket chrome shrouds that looks like a boat fender, but I also need something to help cool this car and keep body parts away from a spinning fan.  I would just order the "stock restoration" radiator but it's $775.  Not a feasible expense for this project.

68rsssrag

• View Profile
Re: Oddball radiator fan shroud!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 05:05:20 AM »
If it's a 23 inch rad it can have 2, 3 or 4 rows. Camaros were 3 row unless Hd cooling was ordered. Rick's has a repro fan shroud for 23inch rads that works great if you can get GM clips to attach it. The repro long clip is rubbish.

Arno

snowballfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 01:34:03 AM »
Thanks Arno.  I'll have to see if I can find "Rick's," and see what they have available.
Are they online I wonder, or just mail order catalog?

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 02:11:06 AM »
Thanks Arno. I'll have to see if I can find "Rick's," and see what they have available.
Are they online I wonder, or just mail order catalog?

http://www.firstgen.com/