Author Topic: Advice on interior Restoration  (Read 12589 times)

Oaklyss

• View Profile
Re: Advice on interior Restoration
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:07:36 PM »
The dash pad is solid but the front of it is sorta peeled up and I don't know if a repair is possible. Thanks for suggestions

Repair the dash pad. All repos look bad. Remove it, trim the fiberglass along the front edge a little, then use "PL" polyurethane caulking as glue, and use large, plastic project clamps to clamp a staight edge to the dash along the front of the dash. Let dry at least overnight. Because the PL is flexable, it does not pull away when the dash gets hot in the sun. I tried many glues, and this stuff is still holding after 8 years.
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: Advice on interior Restoration
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
I recently installed a 69 repro dash pad and although it looks good for the difference in price between it and NOS, I do not like it... what I do like is the fact that it has a METAL frame...
If it were for my own car (customer likes the pad and says he can't tell)...
I would peel the new pad off the metal inner structure.
Pull the styrene plastic backer out of the old pad   and
Attach the old pad to the new metal inner structure,

This way you have the correct width pad, the correct definition in the stitching details, & etc with the benefit of a Metal frame which will not deteriorate in the UV/heat. (I am much more ANAL than just about any customer)

BTW IF the original pad had a metal frame we wouldn't even be discussing this right now.

i
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa