Author Topic: RE: My Computer  (Read 16732 times)

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
Re: RE: My Computer
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
Jerry,
I asked several of my engineers and none had any juno specific advice. One sent me this link about the same problem with 5.0 somewhere else, and might provide some info.

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/764133-trouble-juno-software-email.html

As always, before trying to fix anything make sure you have a backup of what you have.

In fact, I would recommend that you ask the guys at your shop to make a vmware "image" of your system, this is the ultimate backup as it makes an image file of the whole OS/data and you can run that "virtual" pc in another pc.

We have several older programs at a railroad customer that willnot run on newer PC's that we run in virtual windows. We also do this in expert witness cases to keep the data integrity.

Hope this helps some, and as you have helped me, feel free to call me if you want to ask any questions.

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks Rich. 

I hope that John McBeth reads this as it will make sense to him.  We originally installed 5.0 and things still did not work correctly.  I emailed Juno and was told to install 5.1.83.  All seemed to work when that was installed, but while I was trying to recover some e-mails from the corrupted file, I got one of those bad messages and then everything was restored to one file again.  I wonder what is different in Juno 6.0?  I am using XP 2003, and now Exe 7.0.  I suspect that 4.0 worked well for many who use it and for many years.  I can vouch for that.  Because I'm used to Juno, I want to try and weather the storm but because I do not have the time and computer experience, this has been a struggling week.  John and his staff are excellent at what they do.......I am hopeful we'll get it corrected before I leave for CA. next week. 

Jerry 

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 09:16:58 PM »
Jerry,
Change is never fun. Sometimes it is a royal pain. My last Juno switch was years ago with my father in law. It was not fun, but there was some good info in the Juno FAQ’s online at the time. If you have backups of the 150 separate files, work from the backup files instead of the one big file. Do you know what those 150 files were before they were merged? Windows often accumulates file fragments (incomplete files left in memory – especially if the power goes out during a session), some of the maintenance software puts all these parts into one big useless file.
I have successfully used the “spinwrite” software to recover data after a drive crash. It can be purchased from their web site and downloaded. I can’t say for sure I got 100% but I did get a lot. Cost was I think around 80-90 bucks, and it ran for about a day and half, and when it was done the drive was functional again.
Wish you the best,
Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
Tom,

We have all Juno files backed up on my back up G drive.  That was done before the new hard drive and Juno 5.0 install.  That is how we reloaded it to restore my 150 file folders when it crashed the first time.  Part of that crash was due to me.  I could not print e-mails and there was another Juno icon on the desk top and I hit it.  What it tried to do was install and caused that system restore BS.  The first time was bad as I could not even get into my Juno e-mail period.  I would get this hour glass message that went on and on for 10 minutes.  I could not use exe 7.0 with Juno 5.0.  When the updated 5.1.83 was installed, I could print, and use 7.0 exe.  Everything seemed fine but also adding those restore files to the e-mail system must have caused the system to fail.   

Juno responded to install 5.1.83.  What was frustrating is John tried to help last night.  I had done a C drive back up yesterday morning.  We went into the back up G drive Juno program files and tried to restore Juno back to my AM back up and it would not change the e-mail files back to my seperate 150 folders.  I don't know why that is.  Makes sense to me that if you restore your program file to earlier in the day before it crashed, it should have restored all files.  Why didn't it?  You would think that someone or some company has a program to system restore your e-mail system before a crash.  These files are on my hard drive, not out in Juno land. 

I can go to the server and look at new e-mails that come in but that's all I can do.  I do not have my address book, or any tools that I use to interact with customers and friends.

John McBeth, are you reading this...........

Jerry   

69LM1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »
Jerry,
One of my guys sent me this as well, it's a Juno export utility to export the Juno FRM files to files that can be imported to other mail systems, such as "outlook" (although outlook .pst files start choking around 2gb data) .

http://ephemeraleuphoria.com/media/juno5bdb.html  for the emails

http://www.filetransit.com/files.php?name=Juno_Mail_Server  for the Juno address book

It might be a good time to take John's advice and switch. You could even have john set up an email @z28camaro.com for you. Hosted email is pretty cheap these days. Just a thought,

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
70 Z28 COPO

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »
Thanks Rich,

John and one of his guys actually converted all of my Juno e-mail files through Thunderbird so these files could be used and viewed in Outlook.  The trouble was my computer was too old (2003, 4550 Dell) and not enough power by today's standards to run outlook with my Juno files.  At least that's the way it was explained to me.  The only reason I have not bought a new computer is because this has been a great unit and I know some IT people who are still using this model.  I have one GB of ram and the hard drive is now 500GB.  Was a 60 GB hard drive.

Jerry

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 02:03:07 AM »
Jerry,
With that new 500 gig drive you could move all the current Juno files to a new directory with a different name. Then try again to restore the files from your backup. Check with John as he may have already done that.
Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »
Tom,

John was on the phone with me yesterday trying to do that.  I have to bring this computer back over to his place tomorrow and hopefully I'll be back on track this week.  Wish I had the same expertise on these computers as I do on the cars.  I could just hit the easy button.  I will bring that along with me tomorrow.  LOL.

Jerry

duntov3030

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 01:41:47 AM »
I'm sure your friend John M. will have your stuff figured out soon and you'll be back to business as usual.

And the good news in this thread is that you still intend to make the CA race. ;D  Good luck out there.
Butch

'67 Z/28 RS Tuxedo Black

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 02:40:33 AM »
In fact, I would recommend that you ask the guys at your shop to make a vmware "image" of your system, this is the ultimate backup as it makes an image file of the whole OS/data and you can run that "virtual" pc in another pc.

Rich,

First thing we did was image Jerry's computer. In fact, that's how we upgraded him from his old drive to new. Unfortunatley, we discovered he is woefully out of date on Windows/Office upgrades. we will continue to encourage Jerry to move to Outlook...

Best,

John
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

69LM1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 04:29:59 AM »
Rich,
First thing we did was image Jerry's computer. In fact, that's how we upgraded him from his old drive to new. Unfortunatley, we discovered he is woefully out of date on Windows/Office upgrades. we will continue to encourage Jerry to move to Outlook...
Best,
John

Sounds like you have it under control! :)
Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
70 Z28 COPO

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »
Well, I think he's all fixed. We'll see if he posts here to confirm. Whew!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
So far, so good.  I have five days to finsih three weeks of Camaro work in the shop. 

Thanks, John, I can't say thanks enough for all you did.........

Jerry